Twin Dimmer Wiring Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am replacing a twin dimmer switch and thought that I had correctly recorded the connections before I removed the old one ....

The new dimmer has connectors for LHS L1 L2 and C, and RHS L1 and L2 and C.

Both the switches should operate a separate single light.

I have connected the C from the LHS to the RHS (which I am sure is correct and makes sense), but no matter how I connect the other 4 red wires, I cannot get the switches to operate correctly.

The best I can get is the RHS light does not operate, but the LHS operates correctly, BUT ..... the LHS needs to be on for the lights in 3 other rooms to work correctly !

My problem, is that all the 4 wires are red (no additional sleeves or identifier that I can see), I have a mutimeter, but do not now how to identify each red wire and what the layout should be.

Any pointers would be most appreciated ?

Andy

Sponsored Links
2 reds are live in - live out
the other 2 are the light switch wires
turn the power off
put the 4 reds into seperate plastic connectors
turn power on
test with meter for power on 1 red & mark live in
connect 1 other red at a time to live in & mark what it controls
and do the same with all the rest.
live in and live out get connected to both c connections on switch with loop of wire between.
switch wires for lights go to either L1.

Dimmer now operating correctly :D

No problem, when you know how.

Cheers,
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back