Twin & Earth in a concrete wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
SimonH2: It is bouncing ideas around to get a cost-effective solution. Disabling an RCD and using that as an isolator switch means that bank can be isolated while the other RCD bank is on. One main switch will still be there. The idea would be to fit a DP RCBO so the garden side is totally isolated if switched off or it trips. They are available.

sparkwright: 10mm conduit may be suitable when a chase is cut out to see.

bernardgreen: the wall has just been built and is 12 to 16" thick, filled with rebar which is driven into clay beneath the foundations. A cable chase will not weaken this structure at all.

mattylad: The chases will be vertical and an RCD'd circuit.

securespark: If it is lighting running off 1.5mm cable and second small CU is fitted what is wrong with using 2.5mm cable, which is way oversized for the load anyhow? Why greatly oversize with 4mm or whatever? I know a junction box for the tails can be fitted, which is the right thing for heavy cable, but one for 2.5mm? It can be jumped off the main CU switch.

Sponsored Links
It can be jumped off the main CU switch.

Can it?

Can you show me where in the regulations it allows this?

Because I sure as heck cringe whenever I open up a consumer unit and see something like this:

ThinTails.jpg

It is bouncing ideas around to get a cost-effective solution. Disabling an RCD and using that as an isolator switch means that bank can be isolated while the other RCD bank is on. One main switch will still be there. The idea would be to fit a DP RCBO so the garden side is totally isolated if switched off or it trips. They are available.

Go away..

Best advice so far,

Sponsored Links
It can be jumped off the main CU switch.

Can it?

Can you show me where in the regulations it allows this?

Because I sure as heck cringe whenever I open up a consumer unit and see something like this:

ThinTails.jpg

Where is reg that says it cannot? That looks electrically sound. All well screwed up. What is the issue? Apart from you not liking it of course.

Where is reg that says it cannot? That looks electrically sound. All well screwed up. What is the issue? Apart from you not liking it of course.

The adiabatic one, though that may be OK owing to length.

How is this work being notified to the Local Authority Building Control regarding part p?

This is your wall, not your neighbours, and you're trying to bodge it on the cheap aren't you?

134.1.1 prohibits nicking a 2.5mm² of the top of a main switch.

None of your business.

Well, if that's your attitude, I can't be bothered either.

A lot of us here are time-served, trained & qualified electricians with many years experience who spend time giving advice to DIYers for nothing.

If you completely ignore the advice, why did you bother coming here?

As you intend to use RCD protection anyway, I should have thought there would be a circuit at the fuse board you could tap into without all this nonsense of wiring a cable into the main incomer.

My final comment on this topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back