Twist ring cables at socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick query, is it necassary, or even just a good idea, to twist together the corresponding wires of the two cables at a socket outlet on the ring before they are screwed in.

Someone has told me this mechanical connection is part of the regulations but where this has been done previously and I've come to remove and replace the socket (e.g. when wallpapering) they seem work hardened and brittle and so need cutting back and reconnecting. For this reason I would prefer to leave the two wires going into the terminal straight and rely on the screw to secure and connect them.

Any comments appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
You should not twist them together, even though a lot of sparks do still.

If you ensure both are fully and firmly in the terminal and the screw is tightened down properly the electrical and mechanical connection will be sound.

It was used mainly in 60's and beyond, with stranded cores, but as FWL says, not with solid conductors - there is a danger that one core may fracture then continuity will be jeapordised. Although I see it occasionally, mainly with earths when there are lots of them.

Thanks guys.

Really glad I found the site, loads of my question have been answered without even asking, just by searching other peoples posts.

Sponsored Links
Also makes it a pain when testing........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back