Two people have failed washing machines at the same time

M

Mickymoody

One person says the machine vibrates a lot, and suspects faulty bearings on the drum. Mine was similar with a lot of banging and a plate had become detached from the top of the machine, then it nearly self destructed.

The other, the machine doesn't drain, and once the cycle is complete, the door is opened, and the kitchen is flooded.

So any DIYnot advice to fix these, as neither person can afford a new machine? Anything that a DIY'er can look at? Don't know the make of machine, but the faults seem fairly generic.

My parents machine went faulty recently, a shaft went faulty? And was advised to repair, rather than buy new, as new machines are such poor quality?? Can anyone confirm if new machines are poorer quality than a 10 year old machine? I've lost count on the faults on my machine 10 y o., BUT repairable, just about.

Any hints to fix these machines? non draining, and another vibrating? In not in the industry, just my brothers machine is failing, and my cousins machine has failed.

Sponsored Links
check the filters iff a machine tries to spin with standing water in the drum it will try to self destruct

causes off running rough/banging
excess water in drum [ check filters pump and pipe for flow]
disconnected springs/defective dampers [look above the drum for oil or disconnected spring/damper]
loose concrete weights top or bottom off drum [check bolts/fixings]
bearing worn [grinding noises /drum loose]

I use to work making the weights for washing machines and our problem was if they were too thin and if missed the weight could work lose. This would result in the machine walking around the kitchen. Simple washer can cure this.

As to washers in general I did a lot of research to find a washer to work on a boat from an inverter with modified sine wave. It seemed there is only one washer make that will work and that's an LG. However there were no washers with hot and cold fill. Seems to comply with energy ratings the hot fill has been discontinued. They all now use less water. But LG is only washer to get rid of the drive belts. It was often these belts due to lack of maintenance which caused fires as they slipped and set dust alight. So as far as I was concerned the selection was only which LG model to buy.

I would think the other manufactures will catch up and soon other machines will build motor into drum.

However if you look at any washer the load on the rear bearings is very high especially if overloaded and if you want a washer to last then go for a top loader as that way both sides of drum have bearings.

All depends how capable you are at DIY. Am in the process of changing a drum support on a Hotpoint at the moment - Pick the bits up today.

Edit - must remember to spell check

Sponsored Links
All depends how capable you are at DIY. Am in the process of changing a drum support on a Hotpoint at the moment - Pick the bits up today.

Edit - must remember to spell check

I'm a competent mechanical/Electrical Engineer by trade, the question relates to the age old conundrum; could a general mechanic repair a helicopter engine?

It's OK to work on one type of equipment that you are used to, and trained for, and while another technology is slightly different in design, totally different in technique?

And I realise this is in the wrong thread, I apologise, but thanks for the answers.

Most machines, if they fail to drain, they wont let you open them. Mine wont.

The only time mine has failed to drain, it was a blockage on the outlet hose.

The outlet hose is bunged onto a "spigot" under the sink. The spigot had several pieces of grit in it. This caused the machine not to drain.

To test the theory, try to drain the machine into the sink.

Machine vibrating a lot - are they overloading it? If the machine cant balance it shouldnt spin very fast. Mine always has trouble balancing, despite being a good brand. One of my friends nearly took a machine back to the shop because it was moving around the kitchen, but after a phone call to BEKO they realised they had left the transit bar in place. :rolleyes:

My machine when first installed danced around the kitchen, but was due to the front adjustable feet not set correctly. I wonder as the machine is set under a solid worktop, that the machine should be freestanding, to allow for some vibration, equal and opposite attraction? If the machine is set solid, then a lot more vibration has to be damped within?

I'd have thought the interlock wouldn't work, if there was water still contained, wonder how much of the story I'm getting, as it is my cousins, the vibrating machine is my brothers, and I've not seen either in action to confirm the faults, just going off what I'm told.

It's OK to work on one type of equipment that you are used to, and trained for, and while another technology is slightly different in design, totally different in technique?

These days a dishwasher is a motor, a drum, a couple of solenoid valves, a pump and a PCB. If you remember what came from where they are not very difficult, and changing bearings is the same in a washer as it is in a helicopter.

I have an old Indesit from the 90's. It's going strong after a couple of cheap repairs. Its younger brother died of multiple organ failure years ago.

New Indesits are rubbish, old ones are well-built, so I am told.

This one is worth hanging on to, by all accounts. It's worked its socks off over the years. We have 3 kids and its going several times most days!

This is not an electrical problem, its a problem with the APPLIANCE.
There is a different forum for APPLIANCES.

Perhaps you should ask the mods to move your topic there?

One person says the machine vibrates a lot, and suspects faulty bearings on the drum. Mine was similar with a lot of banging and a plate had become detached from the top of the machine, then it nearly self destructed.

The other, the machine doesn't drain, and once the cycle is complete, the door is opened, and the kitchen is flooded.

So any DIYnot advice to fix these, as neither person can afford a new machine? Anything that a DIY'er can look at? Don't know the make of machine, but the faults seem fairly generic.

My parents machine went faulty recently, a shaft went faulty? And was advised to repair, rather than buy new, as new machines are such poor quality?? Can anyone confirm if new machines are poorer quality than a 10 year old machine? I've lost count on the faults on my machine 10 y o., BUT repairable, just about.

Any hints to fix these machines? non draining, and another vibrating? In not in the industry, just my brothers machine is failing, and my cousins machine has failed.

There is sometimes a pneumatic hose which routes from the drum to a sensor, it effectively detects when the water level is above a certain point. what can happen is, pipe rubs with washer on cycle, wears through, and effectively thinks the water level is empty when in fact it isnt. I fixed one a while back with a bit of leccy insulation tape, then used a cable tie to prevent it wearing out again.

Did the trick.

Could be blocked filter or drain pipe as well though, or faulty drain pump.

Or it could be that after over 2 years the machine(s) have been repaired or replaced....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back