two rooms into one - flooring problem has floored me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After a year of enjoying our house, I've decided to make some improvements.

The lounge and dining room are back to back, seperated by a half solid, half stud wall which I've removed.

I've now had a wood burner fitted into the old chimney void but I've got a question regarding flooring.

See this

Not a great picture.

However, the rear room is the dining room and this has 18mm solid oak flooring laid (howdens). I'd like to have this come through to the lounge too but it's been glued down.

In order to get the effect of one open plan room (rather than two rooms that have been joined) I really want the flooring to flow through seamlessly and not have a join between the two rooms. Therefore I need to lift some of the existing flooring but it's all been glued down and a chippie I was talking to yesterday reckoned if I started trying to lift it I would simply ruin the pieces I was intending on leaving.

Now I feel quite frustrated as I want to get going on this but am floored by this problem.

ANY thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be really good right now!! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Try a router or something to cut it free? Do you know what is under the 18mm of oak?

You could cut close to the edge, down to say 15mm depth and try and chisel the rest out so you can join onto it?

Are they single piece long planks or lots of little planks? You could just try and create a staggered path using a drill to get started, then a router, and chisel the rest of the edges out.

I'd suggest getting a sample of the new flooring as it's quite possible that old and new won't blend anyway.Would be better then to rip it all up and start again .
However, that said if it does match well then I'd follow Mrdjc's advice to cut out.

How about unsing a contrasting inlay something like this

010-hardwood-borders-and-inlays.jpg

I know you want it to look all the same, but it may not be practical to do it easily or for the right price.

I have seen in the showroom of the company where we are buying our flooring from all different samples or flooring laid with inlays between and I quite like the look. The floor will all be one run with an added featur of the inlay. I reckon once its down you would be quite chuffed.

Just a personal observation. thought I would share my opinion.

or another example in matching colours

Floor%20Inlay.JPG

Rob

Sponsored Links
Rob - many thnaks, that's a very good suggestion and something that is certainly an option if I can't stagger in the new flooring.

Many thanks.

It all came up a treat.

You do NOT glue the tongue and groove when laying a hardwood floor apparently and so it lifted out just fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back