Two way light using Junction Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have added a second light to my hall. I identified that the existing light was wired to 2 switches using the Junction Box as illustrated on your web site. Before adding the second light the hall light functioned correctly and switched on and off from either switch. After adding the second light strange things are happening. With the second switch in one position the first switch turns the old light on and off but the new light remains off. If the second switch position is changed then operating the first switch turns both lights on but at a reduced brightness. Have you any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
If you have no altered the switch wiring, you've connected the second light wrongly to the first light.

The second light should take its supply from where the flex drop to the first light is fed.

If in doubt, post up a picture here.

Steve

Thanks for the response. I wired the second light into the junction box using the same terminals that were used for the first light. Should I have connected the second light into the first light?

Can you send photos of your new work, failing that describe which wires went where...

Sponsored Links
As said above, we will need some pictures to help. It looks like you have connected the new lamp in series with one of the 'strappers' (dont worry).
We like puzzles so a photo of the junction box in question and an explanation of which wires go to where would help.

As said above, we will need some pictures to help. It looks like you have connected the new lamp in series with one of the 'strappers' (dont worry).
We like puzzles so a photo of the junction box in question and an explanation of which wires go to where would help.

I tried a picture but there were to many wires so I have drawn a diagram. To save space I have left off the earth wires but there is one from each cable all meeting at the third terminal. So this is my Junction box with four cables entering it. In addition there is a cable that runs from each of the two switches to the original light.

//media.diynot.com/137000_136817_19492_16084459_thumb.jpg

your picture seems to suggest that the neutral is switched instead of the live. how did you expect the new light to work the same as the old one when you connected it to different terminals.

Have you got a multimeter????

Your diagram is incorrect.

Your diagram shows old and new colours.
Just to clarify;
red = brown = live
black = blue = neutral
Looks like that junction was wrong before, as suggested earlier.

Can you confirm what each cable is for sure?
eg main supply, switch cable etc?
If you can't trace them you may need to use a multimeter.

Once you have confirmed them
TERMINAL ONE
main supply live
switch 1 live

TERMINAL TWO
main supply neutral
original light neutral
new light neutral

TERMINAL THREE
switch 1 live return (black wire with a red or brown sleeve over it)
original light live
new light live

TERMINAL FOUR
all earths sleeved in green and yellow

Thanks for all the help. I think I have inherited some dodgy wiring so I have gone back to square one and disconnected everything and rewired it as per the diagram and it works perfectly. Thanks again, keep your eye out for me when I get to my other hall which also needs a light adding to it!

although this threw up an issue which needed attending to, if all things are ok on the next one it would be easier to spur off of the existing light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back