Two way switch, I can't get the light off!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you clever chaps can help me...

I've replaced all the lights in the house (apart from the one at the bottom of the stairs I'm having trouble with), eventually all have gone well except the last one (predictably!). Replaced the ceiling rose with a new pendant light. The light is at the top of the stairs, and linked to the light at the bottom of the stairs so the switch (at either end of stairs) operates both lights. Have both lights working (including the new one) and all the wires appear to have gone in the right places from where they came from (have put them in choc blocks) but now the downstairs light will not switch off and stays on permanently

At the top of the stairs, I have the one earth wire, 4 reds (into one choc block), 3 blacks (into another choc block with the neutral light fitting wire into it as well and one live wire in another choc block (with the live formthe light fitting in also)

Any ideas where I've gone wrong?!?! It's driving me mad!! Tried looking the the reference section and old posts but still can't seem to get it working!

Sponsored Links
Likelyhood is one of the red wires at the top of the stairs is the live feed to the light at the bottom of the stairs and needs to be connected in with the switched live. You say only one earth wire, if there are 4 cables there should be 4 earth wires, possibly all in the one sleeve?

Yep, my apologies, there are 4 earth wires, all wrapped in one sleeve. Will try a red to the live, will let you know the result!!

Thanks so so so much Spark, did the trick (first time I tried though I managed to switch off a completely different light alltogether!). What a star!

Was so simple, I feel like a completely thick female now (and I'm not even blonde!)!!

Thanks a bunch

Sponsored Links
Oh...and hope you're around on these boards for my next job, moving a thermostat in my bathroom! Dreading it!

Anything in bathrooms needs to notified to local building control :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back