Ukraine counter offensive

Rumour has it that the bloke in charge of Belarussia is seriously ill

All
Going well (?) he could snuff it ???

Sponsored Links
I'm on about the link you posted. Did you actually read it? They are climate change activists who say we aren't going far enough.
We're going to blow straight through 1.5 degrees of warming, I'm hoping we stop before 2 degrees.

We need to do far more.

Sponsored Links
We're going to blow straight through 1.5 degrees of warming, I'm hoping we stop before 2 degrees.

We need to do far more.
Too late, mate, far too late for that....and, to keep on topic; the summer in Southern Ukraine is brutal, so if they want to kick off the offensive they'd better start now, Maybe autumn would be better.

Too late, mate, far too late for that....and, to keep on topic; the summer in Southern Ukraine is brutal, so if they want to kick off the offensive they'd better start now, Maybe autumn would be better.
Not really, NATO kit is designed to handle the middle East. Compared to that it's nothing.

Hot is good, hard surfaces and minimal mud. Lower rivers to make fording easier. As I said in the other thread, the offensive is coming shortly.

My bet is an intensive period of offensive action for a few weeks, maybe two months, then relaxing into a lower tempo again. Maybe another moderate sized offensive later in the year.

The taking out of Russia's hypersonic missiles is feasible. Hypersonic is around the Mach 5.0 speed which is achieved post launch during the transit phase. As it reaches the target it transits to the guide/homing phase which is a lot slower. I assume it uses some sort of GPS for its final stage targeting, so it would need to communicate with its GPS satellite. At Mach 5, the missile skin temp would be several 100 degrees C so comms would be difficult at that speed.
Apparently Putin is a bit miffed and the missile designers have been summoned :(

There were four or five aircraft shot down over Russian territory a few days back. It appears that they might have been hit by a US Patriot battery after all.

If true, and it isn't confirmed yet, that would be a sign that Ukraine is willing to operate those very expensive and rare bits of kit agressively close to the front.

Ukraine might not look like a good financial investment after a year at war with no end in sight, but Harvard, Saudi Arabia, a handful of oligarchs, and Vanguard Group see it differently. They are just a few of the investors who have been buying up Ukrainian land – and its rich, fertile soil – en masse, while many Ukrainian farmers argue it should stay in Ukrainian hands.

Podcast@Al Jazz.

Here is the situation as it stands on day 450.

So the IMF got involved and now Ukraine is in hock too the west.
Watching 'The Context' on the BeeB, last night, as Ron Christie rapped on about the debt ceiling 'crisis', it occurred to me that American debt, just as UK debt, isn't really meant to be paid back, is it? This debt services the Global economy, keeping the IMF in business: after all, if countries paid back the debt, where would they get the finance for their operations?

I assume it uses some sort of GPS for its final stage targeting, so it would need to communicate with its GPS satellite.

they might use inertial guidance or camera recognition of landmarks so not sentirely dependent on GPS.

they might use inertial guidance or camera recognition of landmarks so not sentirely dependent on GPS.
Looking at the pics (allegedly) of the hypersonic missiles, there does not appear to be any camera/translucent homing head which you tend to see on modern cruise missiles which use ground mapping guidance. But having said that our Storm Shadow has a front nose cone which is discarded at the final stage to expose a camera to identify the target.

There are already reports of Storm Shadow being shot down. Not really surprising, as they aren't very fast. R has some good rapid-fire anti-missile stuff (listed). Radar works from 0 metres altitude.

For the Kinzhal apparently the Patriot picks it up early, predicts where it'll be then puts up a lot of flak - explosive or not I don't know - for it to fly through.

The US says it will allow its Western allies to supply Ukraine with advanced fighter jets, including American-made F-16s, in a major boost for Kyiv.

@BBCnews.com

And it'll train Ukrainian pilots, too.
Putin will be spitting feathers over his breakfast this morning.

'At the start of Russia's full-scale invasion, Ukraine was believed to have around 120 combat capable aircraft - mainly consisting of aging Soviet-era MiG-29s and Su-27s. But officials say they need up to 200 jets to match Moscow's air-power - which is thought to be five or six times greater than Kyiv's.'

This will help them even their odds on the battlefield but even if they receive those jets today, it'll still be a year before they become combat effective to help push Russian forces back.

Sponsored Links
Back