Ukraine counter offensive

Until a couple of months ago, we all said, and wrote, Kiev.

Don't be brainwashed.
Not brainwashed at all. Presumably unlike you, I have actually worked with Ukrainians in recent years, and as a result of my op earlier this year I got to know the a couple more. They tell me that there were always two spellings (like there are for Liege and Luik in Belgium, for example, in French and Flemush respectively), that the Soviet Union banned the Ukrainian language spelling, but that since 2014 the majority of non-ethnic Russians (including Russian speakers) in Ukraine have adopted the Ukrainian spelling and pronunciation. So who is brainwashed?

Sponsored Links
History seems to be repeating itself.
Its a rerun of Russia's winter war with Finland.
The Russians were routed by a country with a population of only 5 million, this encouraged the Nazis and other observers to believe that Russia was there for the taking.

I have been informed that on October 1st the cost of gas is going up 58%, electricity going up 28% and heating oil is already 25% more expensive.
I am now obliged to contribute to a war i don't support, if having an alternative opinion makes someone a commie, then thats ok.
What is it you are against?
Are you against Putin inviading a sovereign country?
Are you against supporting Ukraine to defend itself?

Sponsored Links
History seems to be repeating itself.
Its a rerun of Russia's winter war with Finland.
The Russians were routed by a country with a population of only 5 million, this encouraged the Nazis and other observers to believe that Russia was there for the taking.
The Germans had already decided that the only place to create their "Lebensraum" was in the east whilst simultaneously convincing themselves that Slavs were like the Jews, "Untermenschen", only fit to serve as slaves to the Ayrian races, or to perish. The Ribbentrop-Molotov pact was always meant to hold the Russians whilst they defeated the western powers

And just who do you think wants to invade Russia this time? Ukraine?

I have been informed that on October 1st the cost of gas is going up 58%, electricity going up 28% and heating oil is already 25% more expensive.
I am now obliged to contribute to a war i don't support, if having an alternative opinion makes someone a commie, then thats ok.

Unfortunately as a nation we can't pander to the whims of every individual, that's how you get things like completely preventable diseases making comebacks in first world nations because some people refuse to take vaccines which have worked for generations because they have an opinion about vaccines.

We do what's right for the country as a whole.

Everyone has an opinion, everyone has a right to their opinion, unfortunately very few people have opinions that are worth giving any credence too.

It's Kiev in Britain. Assuming you are British you would have spelled it this way up until a few months ago.
One difference these days is that more people can speak foreign languages and have become aware of how place names should be pronounced. Sometimes the way the English pronounce stuff is quite rude or insulting to the locals - or just makes them laugh at us

I got one am curious how the residents of Londonium and Eboracum will view this war in 20 years.

That depends on who wins... Do the walking dead have feelings or emotions? Not sure how the residents of Calunium will react, though.

Should we all start learning Russian?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the way the English pronounce stuff is quite rude or insulting to the locals - or just makes them laugh at us
You are overplaying this. It is quite natural to laugh, good humouredly, at foreigners' attempts at pronunciations. It is often what breaks the ice. I am never offended at mispronunciations of Oswaldtwistle, Blackley, Slaithwaite or Eglwyswrw.

Sponsored Links
Back