ultra sonic cat deterrent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any one used one?
I was thinking of buying one for my dad to save his legs (from the constant chasing) and his heart (from the boiling blood!) Just wondered if they work or is it just a pointless gadget?
They're neighbour also has a dog so will it effect him? ( mind you if the dogs in the garden the cats usually aren't! )
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
This has been discussed a few times with different opinions on them. I did have one and it worked a treat for me, the reason why i dont use it anymore is because it took 2 9v batteries which needed replacing every few weeks. They do stop cats entering the garden and the dog would hear it easily as even i could hear it - drove me mental!
You may need 2 or 3 depending on the size of garden.
Hope that helps

Tom

We had a few of these some time ago because our neighbour had four cats.
Trouble was that two of them were deaf and used to sit right next to it, though it did seem to deter the other two.

The best ones that I have tried change the frequency automatically as they work so that the cats can't get used to it.

They seem quite expensive so nice to know someone who has used them! I've seen a water one too that has a PIR sensor and so squirts water. Maybe this one will solve the problem of the sound!!!
Thanks for your help :LOL:

Sponsored Links
lisap said:
They seem quite expensive so nice to know someone who has used them! I've seen a water one too that has a PIR sensor and so squirts water. Maybe this one will solve the problem of the sound!!!
Thanks for your help :LOL:

hope you havent got a hose pipe ban, where do you suppose the water comes from?

you mean a scare crow,

They do work (on non-deaf cats) but to keep them effective you need to relocate them every week or so as cats soon realise that the same sound in the same place isn't a danger to them and they ignore it ... Moving it around does the trick.

I mounted mine on an offcut piece of 4"x4" fence post screwed to a plywood base which is easy to place anywhere I need it.

I got one to scare away rabbits in work.

When I got it I was testing it out in my garden.

My cat was sitting on the path about 10 ft away.

I pointed it in his direction and triggered the PIR.

My cat sat upright and looked at me.
I triggered it off again.
Now he was curious and looking with ears bolt upright.
He then decided to come and investigate the item.
Trotted up to it and sniffed it.
No matter what setting I had it on it didn't scare him.

It does scare rabbits though. :D

The cat wasn't bothered because you were present, the cat trusts you and you presumably weren't scared away by it ;)

You need to get the cat to associate the sound with something unpleasant and, whilst others may suggest firing a pellet up it's arse, a more kinder training method is spraying water at the cat when it's ears prick up using a water pistol or similar.

This is easiest done with 2 of you, one to turn on the device (and then move away from both the device and the cat) and the other stood behind the cat with the water pistol ready to shoot it. If you do this several times with the device at different points in the garden the cat will soon start to leg it when you turn it on to avoid the water hitting it behind the ears.

Cats learn (as we do) by association but the difference between us and them is that we often forget and re-do daft things ... Cats generally remember unpleasant situations much longer and avoid them wherever possible ... Hence your typical "scaredy cat".

The last time I did this for a friend it took us half a dozen attempts over a 3 hour period (you need to wait for the cat to get brave enough to come back again once it's scarpered).

Let us all know how you get on.

Happy training :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back