Unable to turn down my heating flow temp on Ariston boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The towel radiator in my bathroom get very hot so I thought I'd turn down the heating flow temperature at the boiler.

My boiler is an Ariston Combi CLAS HE 30. Here is a pic of my boiler controls...

2023-04-06 12.50.41.jpg

As you can see it has 2 separate dials for heating and water. When I turn down the water dial on the right, the digital display updates with the set temperature. In this pic, the dial is set so the water temp is 50 degrees. However the heating dial on the left doesn't update the screen. As you can see in the pic, the current heating setting is set to zero which according to the manual, should switch the heating off, but the heating is still on.

It's worth stating that I do have a Drayton Wiser system that controls my heating but even with that, surely I should still be able to control my flow temperature here?

Does this indicate a faulty part that needs to be replaced or is it due to my Wiser system?

Sponsored Links
It looks like you have the Auto function selected? I think this overrides the heating thermostat. The button here switches it on and off.

Capture.JPG

I would tend to leave it set to Auto though as it automatically drops the boiler temperature when less heat is required.

It looks like you have the Auto function selected? I think this overrides the heating thermostat. The button here switches it on and off.

View attachment 300236

I would tend to leave it set to Auto though as it automatically drops the boiler temperature when less heat is required.

Yes it was exactly this! I figured this out last night. Thanks for confirming too. I agree I've left it back on auto, at least I understand it better.

AS a matter of interest does the flow temperature change much based on ambient temperature etc?.

Sponsored Links
I'm not totally sure, but I think in it's basic form it looks at the water flow and return temperatures. As the weather warms, the heating load will reduce, so looking at these parameters, it will be able to detect this and lower the boiler flow temperature to suit the demand. Some versions have an outdoor sensor fitted.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back