Unable to unscrew a shower hose from the unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to replace a shower hose from the underside of the mixer as it’s leaking. I’m unable to get a sufficiently tight grip on the thread despite trying to use an adjustable spanner, players and other devices. How is this type of problem overcome? I’ve tried spraying wd40 on the inside a cavity in the flawed hope that it will somehow go inside and lubricate the thread but no effect.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Here is an image of the tools and the nut im trying to unscrew.

Attachments

• E6C1E56F-2F4C-4311-96C8-49636A3B2701.jpeg
    E6C1E56F-2F4C-4311-96C8-49636A3B2701.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,193
  • 287EA4A3-113C-4873-8B1A-980D91620D09.jpeg
    287EA4A3-113C-4873-8B1A-980D91620D09.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 892
Sponsored Links
Do you have any grips/water pump pliers? Adjustable spanner and mole grips no good for that nut. Pliers usually no good either, not enough leverage.

That's limescale for you.

If it won't budge with the vice grips then it'll probably shear the plastic inside before it goes.

Try some limescale cleaner on it though

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I've just tired the opposite end of the hose, and to remove the shower head, I need to unscrew it clockwise. Because the end connected to the mixer valve doesn't turn (well actually it turned a few mm when I used the following tool which I also found in a drawer just now), I'm unsure which way to actually unscrew it as it doesn't give.

Can someone confirm if these connectors are all standard in the direction that they screw/unscrew?

Very funny.

It's a common mistake to make. I dont think he was trying to be funny!

Should be anticlockwise "around the hose" but there's so many brands there could always be one where they decided to do it different!

Run hottest water you can through the hose and then have a go with pump pliers or the mole grips (but don't lock them too tight).

What did he mean from the top or bottom? I’m assuming he meant the top or the bottom of the same nut.

this was the other red tool I referred to. Not sure the names of all these things - another type of spanner? I cannot get it the tool to grip with the but though so it slips everytime I try to turn it.

Does a shower head normally unscrew the same way as the connector to the shower valve or are they usually opposite?

Will try the other suggestions too.

Attachments

• 12BE06DD-6B55-4B67-955B-26719E4668BB.jpeg
    12BE06DD-6B55-4B67-955B-26719E4668BB.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 653
He meant...

If you're looking up at the valve from below, (bottom) then it's anticlockwise.

But...

If you're looking down at the valve from above (top) then it's clockwise.

The red tool you have shown are stilsons and are not what you'd usually use but with careful application they could work. If this is all you have then the silver "mole grips" would be the best to use. Clamp them on the grooved nut and then looking down onto them, you'll want to rotate them "clockwise"!

Edit: "righty tighty, leftie loosey"

errr ok.....

I was looking at the nut "face on" and turning it anti-clockwise.
That means according to your last comment, if I was to look at it from the bottom then I have just gone clockwise rather than anti-clockwise and tightened it by a few more mm! Right back to the shower tray!!

Harry Bloomfield and dilalio are both correct.

Before you go any further as to the direction in which to turn it, take an ordinary screw top jar and unscrew the top, when it is the right way up. The unscrewing direction is anti-clockwise.

Now turn the jar upside down. The unscrewing direction is now clockwise, which is the direction for unscrewing the fitting concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back