under cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,i am in the process of fitting a new kitchen and want to install some under counter lights,most of what i have seen you buy in kits and plug them into a socket,can i cut the plug off and wire directly into my kitchen light switch so as to switch it on and off from there,thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
can i cut the plug off and wire directly into my kitchen light switch so as to switch it on and off from there,thanks for any advice
What type of lighting circuit do you have? Is there a neutral at the switches?

Presumably you are aware that what you are doing requires Building Regulations approval before you start?

[wow]My 20'000th post...[/wow]

Many of the pre-assembled units are sold that way in order to get around the Part P building regulations and as soon as you alter them in any way you have to inform the LABC and pay their £100+ fee so in most cases it is not a good idea.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't get round them, or avoid notification anyway - if you're adding lights in a kitchen it is notifiable whether they come with a plug or not.

can i cut the plug off and wire directly into my kitchen light switch so as to switch it on and off from there,thanks for any advice
What type of lighting circuit do you have? Is there a neutral at the switches?

Presumably you are aware that what you are doing requires Building Regulations approval before you start?

[wow]My 20'000th post...[/wow]

no there is no neutral,at the switch,but i can easily take one from the light fitting it self as i am putting a false ceiling up,the only other option is to wire into the main plug socket under the cabinet and attatch a switched fused spur,i take it that would be ok-thanks

It doesn't get round them, or avoid notification anyway - if you're adding lights in a kitchen it is notifiable whether they come with a plug or not.

don't talk wet BAS..
so you're saying that if I buy a desk lamp and put it on the countertop and plug it in, I have to pay £100 to the LABC and have a guy come round and tell me that I plugged it in properly?

quite clearly if it's a pre-assembled lighting kit that requires NO ELECTRICAL WORK in a kitchen ( I don't class pluging in as electrical work ) then it's not notifiable..

don't talk wet BAS..
so you're saying that if I buy a desk lamp and put it on the countertop and plug it in, I have to pay £100 to the LABC and have a guy come round and tell me that I plugged it in properly?
No, because a desk lamp is not a fixed appliance. I think it reasonable to assume that kev wants his under-cabinet lights and the cabling fixed in place, not lying loose on the worktop.

If they are fixed then they come within the scope of the Building Regulations.

quite clearly if it's a pre-assembled lighting kit that requires NO ELECTRICAL WORK in a kitchen ( I don't class pluging in as electrical work ) then it's not notifiable..
Whether it makes sense or not, the law is quite clear - plugged in or not these are fixed electrical equipment and fixed electrical cables, and so in a kitchen they are notifiable.

so you're saying that a free standing electric cooker is not a fixed electrical appliance even though it's hardwired to a Cooker Conection Unit and requires at least a basic understanding of electrics to install, but a light that simply screws to a bit of wood and is plugged in is a fixed electrical appliance?

we had a 3 tonne glueing machine at work that was on rollers so that it could be moved to clean under it... is that a portable appliance as well?

so you're saying that a free standing electric cooker is not a fixed electrical appliance even though it's hardwired to a Cooker Conection Unit and requires at least a basic understanding of electrics to install, but a light that simply screws to a bit of wood and is plugged in is a fixed electrical appliance?
Yup.

Err - that is to say, no, because they are exempt via 3(c) of Schedule 2B

Don't shoot the messenger.
Err - that is to say I deserve to be shot for paying so little attention.

we had a 3 tonne glueing machine at work that was on rollers so that it could be moved to clean under it... is that a portable appliance as well?
No - portable means it is moved during use, or can easily be moved whilst connected.

as if i am going to pay £100+ to get some one round,i have a basic understanding of electrics,i have added extra lights and switches around my house,how does anyone know i have done them myself,for all they know they could of been in when i bought the house,thanks for the advice think i will just wire up to a switched fused spur and put the switch on the cabinet,and if anyone asked it was already wired when i moved in!

so by your definition, the christmas lights the neighbour puts up every year are fixed electrical appliances.. they clip them up with cable clips..

that means that they would have to notify the LABC every year and have them inspected?

Yet their guidance notes granted legal status by the building regulations say.

If it is a prefabricated modular system which is CE marked and is connected via an existing outlet(13A Plug for example) is not notifiable.

Obviously someone is going to come and wade in with their "The guidance is not the law" statements. But the simple fact is the Law gives the guidance legal status as a method to comply.

which guidance notes?
the "approved document" do you mean?
it HAS no legal status.. the building regulation SI does not recognise the guidance note..

and as you say ...

legal status as a method to comply.
there is more than one way to comply..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back