Under cuboard sockets

mst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all ,

ive had some under cuboard stainless steel socets to put in from TLC,and they were a knitemare i can tell you.

i couldnt get 2.5 into the cable grip and they are double sockets wired inderpenently and had no choice but to come off the 2.5 ring on to a choc block then off to the sockets in 1.5mm.

has anyone done these before? and how would have you done it?

these here

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KS104.html
2 Gang Worktop / Under Cabinet Socket

Sponsored Links
Doesnt sound too good to me, 1.5 to a twin socket possible load drawn 26A Maximum rating of 1.5 18A . Must be a better way of doing them i would have thought. Could you not get at least a 2.5 cable into the sockets?

Nick

i know what you mean mate but i even tried pushing singles 2.5 in and just wouldnt go!

they really are the worst things ive ever terminated.

they proberly wont draw over 10 amps anyway will they?

it also says on the back that there rated at 10amps?

mst said:
<shakes head in dispair>

Why do TLC sell this crap? Its a product specified for a kitchen, where several appliances with a constant rating of 13 amps are in use! Plug a fast kettle into this socket and its overloaded!!

And why not use normal sockets?

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
mst said:
<shakes head in dispair>

Why do TLC sell this rubbish? Its a product specified for a kitchen, where several appliances with a constant rating of 13 amps are in use! Plug a fast kettle into this socket and its overloaded!!

And why not use normal sockets?
the customer onlt wants these sockets.....if i come across them again ill say no.

i dont thnk they have a bs number on them ether.

:eek:

If they're not to BS 1363, you're not compliant with BS 7671.

GET THEM CHANGED!

Whatever their standard, they're wired incorrectly, and dangerously.

You owe it to your customer and yourself to rectify this work asap.

I know this is an old thred, but I am putting sockets like those in the new kitchen at home. The ones I have are the same style, but are single gang ones from B&Q. The ones from B&Q come with about 3m of black flex fitted to them, so the way I am wiring them is to connect them to the kitchen ring circuit via a switched FCU with a 13Amp fuse in it.

What gets me is that the info that came with them, does not say how to wire them into the mains, but only says "To be fitted by a compent person"

Gas fittings have said that for years

There is two ways of looking at it, you can either not give any information at all, hopeing that those who don't know will employ the services of a competant professional, or you can give information and hoefully people will either look at it, realise its beyond them and get a competant professional in, or understand the information and do a good job!

Six and two threes there really, what you have got to avoid is giving just enough information to trivalise things, then those who really arn't competant might think that they are... the old a little knowledge is a dangerous thing chesnut thing!

Rather like barriers near flights of stairs, in the same way that none at all is better than a wobbly one!, no instructions are better than bad instructions!

If you do give information and it can be misinterpretted by a muppet then you leave yourself open to civil action though!

if you want some nice brushed chrome sockets, get a (high qulaty) MK Albany plus. higher qulaty, easier to install and complies with bs1363. they also look heck of a nicer.(they also sell ones like that in ikea with a plug lol!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back