Under cutting skirtings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like the look where your tiles slide under the skirting rather than kind of butting up against.

So probably easier when there's no skirting so you just stick it on after your tiling. But I've seen a few you tube videos where they've under cut the bottom of door frames by using an upturned tile as the guide.

I'd like to do something like this but for the whole skirting. Do tilers generally do this?

I'm not opposed to pulling the skirting off, its just we have one room where we have magnetic plaster (which is great) but soft compared to normal plaster and taking the skirting off in that particular room might prove to become a nightmare, hence the under cutting option.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Butt your tile up 4mm shy of the skirting - you leave the 4mm gap to be filled with silicone.
Colour match the silicone to the grout colour.

You can use grout right up to the skirting board, as well as silicone, but by the time you've put down the tiles and adhesive, the skirting board might start to look a little short. As long as you are careful taking the skirting boards off, then when they go back on, the should cover over the damage to the plaster.

Sponsored Links
Best modern practice is to silicone where tile meets any abutments - for the simple reason that its insurance against expansion.
If at all possible, on the principle of keeping things simple, skirting is best left on the walls & undercutting is avoided - why create more possible difficulties?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back