Under Floor Heating

The TMV MANUFACTURER'S installation instructions says that it does. You should contact them and tell them they're wrong.

Why would you persist in saying it won't work when you've had indisputable proof that it does?

That would be because you're a

LIAR.

Sponsored Links
methinks dick puller or one of his little playmates has surfaced again

Possibly; in his defence, Puller was not totally clueless, like this clown, and he had enough sense to shut up if presented with evidence that he had been mistaken about something. Puller was a tradesman and did know all the basics.

Rhondo is an enthusiastic, though clueless amateur, and is pontificating about complex and potentially dangerous installations. He doesn't bother me and will revert to an embarrassed silence when he has knobbed up his heating system.

Amazing. This berk has never seen a tmv which controls flow on the hot port only let alone fitted one, yet feels obliged to post carp advice relating to their installation. :rolleyes:
And then has the gall to ask for an apology.

you've had indisputable proof that it does

You call an internet link "indisputable" proof?

ROFLMAO :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Amazing. This berk has never seen a tmv which controls flow on the hot port only let alone fitted one, yet feels obliged to post carp advice relating to their installation. :rolleyes:
And then has the gall to ask for an apology.

No, I've never seen one of those; neither has the author of the CIBSE Guide H on Automatic Controls. It's as much use as scissors with one blade. You must have found the sole world manufacturer; you should buy them all up quickly.

I didn't ask for an apology. You have no integrity. You are a liar and an incompetent.

you've had indisputable proof that it does

You call an internet link "indisputable" proof?

Yes. The manufacturer's installation instructions would be fairly conclusive for most people. You know better though. Could you post the manufacturer's installation instructions for your "one port, three port valve" please? Doesn't it have installation instructions? Why would that be?

I'm suprised this hasn't been locked yet! but its very entertaining!
but if i was gonna take sides then............. onetap has my vote :!:

It was fun, but now he's just boring.
Rhondo has established a new forum benchmark for stupidity.

Chris Nash@JG technical wrote
The UFH mixing valve has a minimum working pressure of 0.2 BAR which is 2 metres in terms of static head. Therefore the hot port of the mixing valve will require this minimum amount to blend and perform correctly

Onetap wrote
The static pressure on the hot port is of no relevance

He was referring to "working pressure". Pay attention at the back.
You're cross over header won't work.
How many times have you installed such an arrangement with a tmv having unequal design geometry on the inlet ports?
And since you sound like a desk jockey, how many times have you specified it on a low loss arrangement and had positive feedback that the ufh system performed satisfactorily?
Had you contacted Chris you would have become aware that I wasn't lying but feel free to continue with you're accusation. :rolleyes:

Onetap wrote
It must regulate the cold port, giving a tight shut off when the outlet temperature is less than the set point
You know nothing about ufh tmv's and the above statement clearly indicates this....

Onetap wrote
You know better though

Yes I do. ;)
When you've either installed one or specified it and can give details from feedback on performance then I might listen.

Onetap wrote
I didn't ask for an apology

What's this then?
Onetap wrote
You should apologise
:rolleyes:

Rhondo has established a new forum benchmark for stupidity
The benchmark for stupidity is relying on internet links imo.
Siegenthaler's info is flawed and the honeywell sparco info is flawed and you're the bigger idiot for relying on it.

I don't think the pressure difference across the hot and outlet ports would be different to that across cold and outlet ports for a given flow rate

You never "think". :rolleyes: muppet....
Of course they can be different. The internal design and hot port valve seating machining on some designs ensure they are different.
You've never seen the inside of one so obviously don't know.

This isn't one of yer big belimo's or satchwells regulatating H&C inlet ports inversely to each other. It's a simple tmv which you don't understand and have to rely on internet links which don't show the full picture.

Siegenthaler's info is flawed and the honeywell sparco info is flawed and you're the bigger idiot for relying on it.

So your contention is that;
the low-loss header arrangement I suggested won’t work AND that I am wrong, AND John Siegenthaler PE ( a very highly respected Engineer, author and heating lecturer) is wrong AND Spirax Sarco (a multi-national manufacturer of steam, gas and water valves and fittings) are wrong about their own TMVs.

That is an amazing theory although slightly disturbing; I really did not know that people were made that stupid.

My contention is that;
it works AND that you are wrong ANDyou cannot understand how it works because you are stupid.

This is a much simpler and more likely explanation.

The UFH mixing valve has a minimum working pressure of 0.2 BAR which is 2 metres in terms of static head. Therefore the hot port of the mixing valve will require this minimum amount to blend and perform correctly.

Onetap wrote
The static pressure on the hot port is of no relevance

He was referring to "working pressure". Pay attention at the back.

You should have Googled for the meaning of the phrase “working pressure”.

http://tinyurl.com/278bf5d

A piped system has a working pressure. Pressure vessels, storage vessels or heat exchangers will have an fixed brass data plate giving both the ‘working pressure’ and the ‘test pressure’. If anyone had used the phrase ‘working pressure’ to me in the context of the flow through a valve, then I would have questioned it to confirm what he meant. It would have caused me to suspect that he may not know what he was talking about.

It seems the term was misused but you, having no knowledge, experience or qualifications in this area, did not question it and have copied and pasted it all over the internet.

You need a differential pressure across a valve, system, orifice, etc to generate a flow. With control valves the flow at a given pressure differential is expressed as a Cv (imperial units) or Kv (metric); Kv is typically the flow in cubic metres per hour at a dP of 1 bar. Knowing Kv you can calculate the required dP for any other flow rate from dP = k Q^2, where k is a constant.

Your TMV with “unequal design geometry on the inlet ports” would require two different values of Kv for hot and cold ports.

How many times have you installed such an arrangement with a tmv having unequal design geometry on the inlet ports?
And since you sound like a desk jockey, how many times have you specified it on a low loss arrangement and had positive feedback that the ufh system performed satisfactorily?

See above; I do not use TMVs, except as blending valves on DHW supply systems.

I have installed dozens of motorized mixing valves. I have specified hundreds, as a “desk jockey” design engineer, motorized and pneumatic valves, mostly in diverting mode, a standard control technique for heating and chilled water coils in constant volume systems. There are flow measuring devices in commercial systems ( orifice meters close-coupled to DRVs). The system operation and flow rate is measured, adjusted, verified and witnessed by independent commissioning engineers. Every one of those valves, without exception, has worked as intended.

I have never seen a 3-port valve like yours, that had two different values for Kv. They were/are not made. Only a fool would buy one. If you have such a valve, then go and get the two Kv values and report back.

I have seen a 3-port (plug & seat) mixing valve on a site where I worked, installed as you proposed. At the limits of its travel, the valve plug became locked against the seat by the pump pressure and the actuator was unable to move it. Manually opening the valve would release it, until it next went to 0 or 100%.

Onetap wrote
I didn't ask for an apology
What's this then?
Onetap wrote
You should apologise

It isn’t a request for an apology, is it? It is a statement.

You’d only apologise if you had sufficient intelligence to understand that you were wrong, the integrity to admit you were mistaken and the courage to apologise to the people you’ve been libelling. You have none of those qualities and so there is no point in asking you to apologise.
So I didn’t.

The problem I'm having is that the main CH pump which forces the hot flow from the boiler to the CH & HW & then back to the boiler as the return, is forcing hot water up the "return" pipe from my ufh kit.

You'd need a diagram to clearly explain that.

A cross-over header is the thing you may need. Connected as for a radiator on the primary system with an isolating and regulating valve as for a rad, but with a straight pipe connecting the two valves, instead of a rad. Water flows through the header at a constant rate when the primary circuit is on, whether or not the UFH secondary circuit is on.

The secondary UFH flow and return to the mixing valve and secondary pump are taken from/to closely spaced tees from the header. Because they're closely spaced tees, there's negligible pressure difference between them and so no nuisance flow induced by the primary pump.

The disadvantage is that primary unused flow water is routed straight back into the return, and reduces the efficiency of a condenser.

Hope that helps, if not, too bad, too much to do.

Onetap, can I ask if you have installed the above many times with the sparco tmvs and what success you had with them?

I only ask as we had the honeywell sparco tmv on our recent ufh project and we noticed the warm up time for our home was up to six hours and in colder periods really struggled to keep us warm.
Do these tmvs normally take 6 hours to heat up the space area's?
This left us most unhappy and at first we had thought it was the furnace until a technician had a look at our ufh set up.

Our plumber who is fully licenced didn't seem to know what to do which left us most frustrated. Though his quality of work was excellent.
We do have a similar tmv which he fitted, connected to our faucets and this one works extremely well blending our hot water.

I believe we have the primary/secondary set up with closely spaced T,s similar to the earlier diagram posted and our technician suggested we fit a tekmar controller instead (which we did) with a 4 way valve with outdoor reset and now our ufh has the rooms up to temp in about an hour which we are delighted with.

Onetap, can I ask if you have installed the above many times with the sparco tmvs and what success you had with them?

I only ask as we had the honeywell sparco tmv on our recent ufh project and we noticed the warm up time for our home was up to six hours and in colder periods really struggled to keep us warm.

I've never seen the Honeywell Sparco TMV in the UK or any other TMV that can only shut off the hot port. You could ask about it here, a US radiant heating forum;

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-category/76/THE-MAIN-WALL

Every mixing valve I have seen has the ability to completely close off the cold inlet port in the event that the hot inlet temperature is less than or equal to the temperature set-point, e.g.,
http://www.taconova.com/fileadmin/u...ter/E/4_mixing/mt53/4_mt53_mixing_valve_e.pdf

If the cold inlet port was uncontrolled, this could cause the slow warm-up problem that you describe. The valve would recirculate a minimum amount of the cold return water, say 50%, and the flow temperature would remain below the required flow temperature until the UFH system had warmed up and the return temperature had increased.

TMVs also usually have a higher internal resistance than a motorized mixing valve, so changing the TMV for a 3 or 4-port mixing valve could also increase the water flow rate through the UFH system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back