Underground Waste Nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Recently bought a new home, and 6 months in have come across a problem. The property comes with an Annex (that my elderly mum lives in) and the annex drains keep blocking.

We had it pressure cleared a couple of times, then when it blocked the third time I thought I would save myself a little cash and bought my own rods (B&Q Jobbies). Cut a long story short, the rods broke off inside the drain and dissapeared down the waste line.

OK, so we get a drain man with a camera and discover that the rods have gone all the way to the sewer tank but have stopped short in an underground junction. After much looking around we discover that there is no manhole at this backdrop. Drains man oo's and aa's and comes back with a price I can't afford.

So, I decided to dig it up myself and save a bit of cash. So, after removing the patio whilst my wife sobs in the corner, I finally found the waste pipes (Please see photo).

I now realise I know absolutely nothing about underground waste and am stuck as what to do next. Ideally I would dig deeper but the surrounder area is very difficult (brick wall right next to it). What I am thinking, is that I can remove the bend from the main house, and should be able to see the rods stuck in the annex pipe...cut it up and remove. Job done.

But.. first, I have no idea on how to remove the bend. It appears glued or very tight.. .is this right? How does one remove it?

Once removed I am thinking about putting in some kind on bend with a rod hatch at the top, then putting in a manhole. Does such a thing exist? I can't use a T as this would bring the height of the waste too high! Unless I use something like a rod access pipe.. would that work??

Any help appreciated.. especially on how to remove bend without destroying the pipes :)

wastem.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did your rods break or just come unscrewed? If the latter, surely there must be a recapture device you can fix on the end of the rod? I would experiment with some kind of cone, a bit like they use for refuelling aircraft in flight and see if I can reconnect with the end of the lost rod. What about if you fitted a cut down plastic funnel over the end, attached tightly to the rod with bulldog clips?

HI there,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately they broke. First time it broke just below the connector. I then put another rod down with a hook, and that broke too!

No tight bends or anything.. just crappy crappy rods :(

Obviously I really don't want to put anymore down there!

Sponsored Links
LOL, no idea.. chucked em now. I bought them from B&Q though.. combined chimney and plumbing rods.

IF the straight coupler on the right of your photo is a slip coupler you could heave it back about 6 ins to the right, lift out the spiggot elbow and remove the obstructions... if they are here. Replace in reverse.

If its not a slip coupler you could cut the pipe between the spiggot elbow and straight coupler, twist the elbow off and remove obstruction. Then remove the stops inside the coupler to make it one, and replace with a section of new pipe...

As Bahco et al suggest an access point here would be useful in future!

Cut through the straight connector (this is on the right hand pipe from the house) use a panel saw. It will help cut a straight line. Once cut through, pull on the 90degree bend, it will come up. Remove rods. Remove the sections of connector that you cut in half. Then fit a Furnco coupler over the waste pipe from the house and put back the 90 degree joint and slide the Furnco into place and do up the clips. Use washing up liquid to help ease the pipe work back together.

You could also arrange to have an accesss point/inspection chamber.

Andy

Can you dig the trench back towards the house? If so do that and you'll be able to pull the bend upwards to access the rods. It's the safest and easiest method if you can.

it is possible for a drain man to retrieve the rods by jetting downstream to rods and with some skill and luck get them back to the manhole you are jetting from (i have done this before)
But seeing as you have excavated the pipework,follow 'HERTSDRAINAGE2010' instructions and all will be fine :)

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the excellent replies! I think I've got a good idea on what I need to do now.. my only other thing would be HOW to install an access point.

Is there such a thing as a rod access point, but at 90deg rather than 45? That would be perfect!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back