Unexpected damp on internal wall on terraced house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

This has confused me so hopefully someone can explain.

This is a typical 3 bed terraced, 2 living rooms.

The tennant has moved out this week so some superficial renovations are being done.

I knew we had a damp issue in the back room which I assumed would be the open chimney (at the top) and vented at the bottom. But when we had a closer look we saw some other issues.

All of the internal wall with next door is showing signs of moisture, it only raises a couple of foot but has effectd the skirting boards etc.
The two living rooms effected have concrete floors fitted.

Knowing I had some issues I had always looked up and thought that the chimeny/flashing would be the issue but now I am not so sure.

Can you get rising damp on internal walls ?

Could this just be an age thing for the house. It is 100 years old and the skirting boards and plaster wallas are at least 20 years untouched.

Sponsored Links
Photos would be very helpful. Any chance you can post some? Damp + chimney can often point to hygroscopic salts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back