"Unfinished" flue question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I had my boiler serviced, the chap said he was concerned that the flue pipe hadn't been sealed into the exterior wall, and there was a small risk of CO leaking into the house. Not concerned enough to condemn the boiler or anything, but I should still get it sorted.

Basically, behind the circular rubber seal, there's no mortar surrounding the flue in its square hole in the brickwork. I'm not sure I'm explaining this too well, so here's a photo:
IMG1178.jpg

Obviously inside the house, it's all sealed into the plaster, etc. and it looks ok inside the hole, but this may still allow gases to leak back into the house I suppose.

Anyway, can I finish this myself, or is that interfering with the boiler in a way that would require a CORGI-qualified person?

If I can do it, how do I go about it? I've never done any brick/mortar work before, so if you want to refer me to a more suitable forum on this site for advice that might be best. I'm thinking "Building", but that sounds a bit dramatic.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks. :)

Does the rubber collar come off easily? I'm thinking it's going to be rather tricky trying to hold it back and fill the gap without making a right mess of it...

yes the collar slides off,

make sure the boiler has been off for a while and no one can turn the boiler on while you are working there. ;)

then when the pointing is in and the hole is blocked carefully slide the collar over again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both.

I'll switch the boiler off a couple of hours beforehand - the central heating isn't turned on yet anyway so it's just for the hot water. Do I need to leave it a while after as well or will the drying mortar not be negatively affected by the flue getting hot?

BG insist on both sealed and/or collar. Have pulled up several new instals lately with our boilers after year in and they have came to do first service.

I kindly pointed out to the TSM and Manager the fitting instructions and also what do you do 4 up in a tenement.!!
Thats right put the collar on push through and pull back! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ps is yer boiler a mini or Biasi :?:
Trainspotter :oops:

hey GG it's good to know you're still giving advice.

i have been visiting th forum on an off but it's the first time iv seen your reply for a long time.

you have become one of my favourites on here :oops:... ahem proffesionaly speaking of course..... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back