University Fees..

the old maxim comes to mind...... you think training is expensive ....... try ignorance!! Degrees should be free but only offered to the brightest and most deserving, regardless of status ......... oh the utopian world in my mind :LOL:

bullsh*t!!

Fellow notters, ignore her, it's just a lovers tiff!!

erm no its not....your talking rubbish thats all!!.....

ps....your dinner is in the postman!

I herd it was the milk man ;)

Sponsored Links
the old maxim comes to mind...... you think training is expensive ....... try ignorance!! Degrees should be free but only offered to the brightest and most deserving, regardless of status ......... oh the utopian world in my mind :LOL:

Me thinks that you were thinking of meritocracy rather utopia (but were distracted by amour).

A problem with the former is that if we are talking about the educational achievements of a level students then this doesn't take into account the disadvantages endured by poorer kids.

Some universities do apply value added weighing to A level grades for state sector kids but this often leads to private school kids switching to decent local state 6th forms.

Me thinks that you were thinking of meritocracy rather utopia (but were distracted by amour).

A problem with the former is that if we are talking about the educational achievements of a level students then this doesn't take into account the disadvantages endured by poorer kids.

Some universities do apply value added weighing to A level grades for state sector kids but this often leads to private school kids switching to decent local state 6th forms.

Very true but there should be no need or advantage to private education, just as there should be no need for private healthcare......... told you i live in cloud cuckoo land!!

If they don't get at least a 2-2 after their first year they should be sent home.

Not all students get drunk and party all night.

The students that do really well shouldn't have to pay back anything as they'll spend all their lives paying higher taxes.

Yoof today, bloody lightweights...... "Not all students get drunk and party all night." I did, still got a first and didn't pay a penny for it, excellent!

So eddie? Was it a first or a 2:1. Make your mind up son. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If they don't get at least a 2-2 after their first year they should be sent home.

Not all students get drunk and party all night.

The students that do really well shouldn't have to pay back anything as they'll spend all their lives paying higher taxes.

Yoof today, bloody lightweights...... "Not all students get drunk and party all night." I did, still got a first and didn't pay a penny for it, excellent!

So eddie? Was it a first or a 2:1. Make your mind up son. :rolleyes:

Good God, Joe. It took you three years to think that one up?

The difference between me and Eddie is that i can remember every post I have ever read on this forum - he can't even remember his own posts. :mrgreen:

It a special type of memory that I have - but I can't remember the name. :mrgreen:

Oh silly me - it's called 'eidetic memory'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The difference between me and Eddie is that i can remember every post I have ever read on this forum - he can't even remember his own posts. :mrgreen:

It a special type of memory that I have - but I can't remember the name. :mrgreen:

Oh silly me - it's called 'eidetic memory'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's clever. Tell me the date of the post where you first said 'He won't'.

(He won't.)

No idea. I remember making it but it was not in this forum.

Joe said:

"i can remember every post I have ever read on this forum"

:rolleyes:

And so I do - just not the order I read them in. :rolleyes:

As a mature student, working towards my mechanical engineering degree, whilst working full-time as an aerospace manufacturing engineer;
I think the new fees system is *******s.

Mostly because uni's fail to offer value.
£2500 under the old system was good value.
£6500 under the new system is an absolute ripoff for what you receive - a few lectures and marking of some assignments.

£6500 under the new system is an absolute ripoff for what you receive - a few lectures and marking of some assignments.

Plus one-to-one tuition by highly qualified and experienced academics, access to expensive laboratory equipment and, hopefully, a meaningful qualification from (presumably) a highly regarded university.

Plus one-to-one tuition by highly qualified and experienced academics, access to expensive laboratory equipment and, hopefully, a meaningful qualification from (presumably) a highly regarded university.
If you happen to go to Oxbridge perhaps...(although I see they now want £16k+)

Elsewhere it is indeed generally even more of a rip-off, with none of those 'benefits' you mention...(let alone the fact that the real cost is the £100k+ you end up paying back!)

Still, all it takes is a bit of lateral thinking...

One of ours has just started studying abroad - most classes in English, and extra lessons thrown in to brush up on the local lingo...

All for the princely sum of €500 a term...

(and the European commute is easier/cheaper than a trip up north!)

Any kid who doesn't consider looking abroad isn't worth the paper their qualification is written on!

One of ours has just started studying abroad - most classes in English, and extra lessons thrown in to brush up on the local lingo...

Wouldn't happen to be one of those places going bankrupt would it?

Wouldn't happen to be one of those places going bankrupt would it?
Nope...

Try the most financially secure country in Europe... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back