Unreasonable porch costs?

A thousand pounds will buy you a composite door and frame fitted. Joy. Misleading people with unrealistic tales of "wot I did way back when" doesn't help much.

A thousand pounds bought me ballast, cement, 4x2, OSB, cedar cladding, Celotex, plasterboard, felt, rainwater goods, hardware, hemlock door and glazing, door furniture, two small bespoke windows, the services of a plasterer and anything else I've forgotten. Double glazed units for the windows, three courses of bricks and and sandstone paving I already had.

2011 is not way back when.

I was quite clear that it was a self-build with a different roof from the OP's.

We all seem to agree that 8-10k is a bit steep so I don't know why your nose is out of joint.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
A thousand pounds will buy you a composite door and frame fitted. Joy. Misleading people with unrealistic tales of "wot I did way back when" doesn't help much.

A thousand pounds bought me ballast, cement, 4x2, OSB, cedar cladding, Celotex, plasterboard, felt, rainwater goods, hardware, hemlock door and glazing, door furniture, two small bespoke windows, the services of a plasterer and anything else I've forgotten. Double glazed units for the windows, three courses of bricks and and sandstone paving I already had.

2011 is not way back when.

I was quite clear that it was a self-build with a different roof from the OP's.

We all seem to agree that 8-10k is a bit steep so I don't know why your nose is out of joint.

Cheers
Richard

Actually I can
You are giving the impression that it should only cost a grand and the op is getting shafted
If that's all your porch cost you then well done and congratulations but at least post pics up of it so the op can decide if his could cost around the same or not if he was to go the DIY route.

OP
8-10K may well be a good price for the work that needs to be undertaking by a builder and not a Diy'r .We know its a double hipped roof . We don't know what tiles or materials like doors or windows have been agreed. I don't know the prices that the merchants charge where you live. We don't know the ground conditions etc. If you've had 3 quotes and the three are as you say close to each other then that does suggest the going rate for your area

Or It may well be to much money and you may be getting ripped off and the cost may well be around the 5-7k mark but I highly doubt it .

Have you thought about saying to the builder you like. " knock two grand off and the jobs yours for the same Quote"

You are giving the impression that it should only cost a grand and the op is getting shafted

Rubbish. I'm stating quite clearly that it's possible to buy materials for a modest porch for a grand, nothing more. Other people are doing a good job at quantifying the other costs, and the OP can make his own mind up.

So neckus windinginius.

Cheers
Richard

Yes I'd like to see what this bargain porch looks like.

Is the cedar cladding proper cedar cladding or the cheap stuff for sheds, for instance?

Likewise for the door, and frames.

Sponsored Links
Yes I'd like to see what this bargain porch looks like.

Is the cedar cladding proper cedar cladding or the cheap stuff for sheds, for instance?

Likewise for the door, and frames.

No You really are giving out that impression well at least to me you are and my neck is just fine where its at Ta

You can buy a house (in need of renovation) for £15k here. That's, like, one and a half porches. Apparently.

Small extensions will always work out more expensive per square metre than large ones. However, there are details missing - what exactly has been quoted for?
Does it have cavity walls?
Is there insulation in the walls, floor, roof?
Is it to be fully plastered?
Does it include electrics? Lighting? Sockets?
Floor finishes? Tiles?

If it has all or most of the above you have a proper extension and the quotes don't seem hideously high for the south east for a small single storey extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back