Unsightly waste pipes into drain but I have no idea how to..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
make them look nicer.

We bought this place a few months ago and I am getting around to tidying up some bits. On the survey, they commented on the unsightly drain on the side of our house as below:

Having looked at this, it seems that one of the joints is also leaking but I don't want to replace it if I am going to re-enginner the piping work.

Can anyone advise what I would do to tidy this up and what products I would need to do so?

The small white pipe under the black pipe is the downstairs bathroom waste, the long white pipe is the upstairs waste (this has the leak) and the big black pipe is I believe the downstairs toilet waste and also linked to the guttering.

Sponsored Links
Just for starters that waste coming down from above can be connected into the large black soil pipe by using a strap on boss......it will remove the last couple of metres of the white pipe and look better.
A suitable colour scheme for the white pipe wouldn't go amiss either - if there's no where else for it to go.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It looks like that vertical black pipe is the SVP joining into the loo connection at the bottom......the white waste can be run into that at high level, using the same boss connection.

Ok thank you, that sounds like the best solution then.

Just so I am 100% on the way to do it. Can you check out this picture and then my conclusion below?

I will replace everything that you can see in white on the vertical white pipe. I will start with a black 90 degree corner that will then follow the house horizontally towards the black pipe. Once it gets to below the black toilet pipe, I will do another 90 degree corner and then connect this into the main vertical black pipe via strap on boss.

Does that sound like the most logical approach?

I assume all the pipes need to have a slight decline?

Slight fall needed yes, you don't want water collecting in pipework and freezing in the colder months. Work looks fairly recent, why on earth they didnt put the drain from the new WC underground I dont know, whole job could have been done so much more neatly with a bit of time and effort. :(

Phone wire maybe?
How the hell can any installer leave a job like this.....clearly whoever it was didn't have a clue :eek:

The horizontal soil is wrong and should be buried. The WC should be floor exiting and not the wall also.
Thats what excavators are for!

Hi,

It is indeed telephone wire. I actually had a very quick attempt at tidying this up earlier but I can't for the life of me get the clips into the brick grout. It is just so hard and they just keep bending. Any recommendations on this?

With the horizontal soil, it did seem odd that this wasn't buried but there is no way for me to do this now and so it will need to remain as it is.

I have found all the bits I need in screw fix for the re-doing of the white vertical soil so wish me luck tomorrow :)

How did it go? We get a lot of people asking questions but not so many reporting back with results/pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back