Unusual Hand Tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here one for you tool experts! This was bought for me from my wife as a Xmas present. The antique shop said it was a 'saw sharpener' but I have my doubts.
The slots are all the same depth but the width of them varies from 1mm to 3mm.
Has anyone any ideas?
I hope the photo has uploaded ok!
Thanks and a Happy New Year to everyone

Sponsored Links
Here one for you tool experts! This was bought for me from my wife as a Xmas present. The antique shop said it was a 'saw sharpener' but I have my doubts.
The slots are all the same depth but the width of them varies from 1mm to 3mm.
Has anyone any ideas?
I hope the photo has uploaded ok!
Thanks and a Happy New Year to everyone

It is a gauge to measure the thickness of sheet steel etc

If it was a gauge, wouldn't it have the measurements alongside the slots?
Otherwise, how would you know the thickness?

Could it have been a tool to set saws?
Different thickness slots for thicker/thinner saws?

Hmmmm

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys.
I tend to go along with the idea of a saw set. :idea:
There are no markings anywhere on the handle or blade nor does it look home made.
Any more ideas?

thought a saw set was like a wierd set of pliers,hence to set the teeth to the correct angles.
im going for some kind of gauging tool?

its a plain ended saw set with a beech handle as still used in the 1960s in 1964 sold at a price of 5 shillings and 3 pennys

I think its a Standard Wire Gauge (SWG) measurer and if there's any marking or measurement at all, the user deducts the wire thicknesses in two's from that datum......
or maybe not!
John :)

I think its a Standard Wire Gauge (SWG) measurer and if there's any marking or measurement at all, the user deducts the wire thicknesses in two's from that datum......
or maybe not!

how many times do i have to tell you, are you thick or what. we used thees back in the sixtys, if you look in an old buck and hickman 1964 general catalogue page 574 you will see it

Black_Dustbin_with_clip_on_lid.jpg

latest saw set for the young lads

or maybe not!

how many times do i have to tell you, are you thick or what. we used thees back in the sixtys, if you look in an old buck and hickman 1964 general catalogue page 574 you will see it

Hmmm whatever you say.....Do I really deserve a reply that doubts my cerebral integrity?
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back