The SCUM strike again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am seeking some advice here... Over the weekend my garage was broken into and a hell of a lot of my tools were stolen, one box had my missus's xmas presents in too!

Anyway, police came out and did the works managed to pull up a print off an old laptop that was flung in the garage, im not expecting much.

I have gone to my insurance and submitted what proof of purchases i have but im struggling to find anything for my hand tools! things you buy as and when etc.

I have supplied an Invoice for 10 of my Bosch Professional tools, my Karcher K7 pressure washer and Dewalt DW717XPS Saw.

Ive never been in this predicament before so i dont know what to expect from the insurance, has anyone else had any experience that can offer any advice?

I have some photos of my tools that ive sent in etc but my worry is that the invoices for the saw and washer are just eBay statements.

Would you all please keep an eye out for any tools forsale, all my gear is UV marked with "MC 0840)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Keep a lookout on e bay.

Time for an alarm.
What you can be certain about is that they will be back at some point for more goodies.

the garage had a shock alarm!!!! it didnt sound.... we are moving house in the coming weeks and the new place has a decent garage, already ordered CCTV

CCTV won't stop them.
Brother put in a screamer alarm in at his isolated premises. It wakens me at my gaffe half a mile away.
So far it has stopped two attempted thefts.

The fact that the building has a large outside alarm beacon didn't phase them at all. Premises has cameras everywhere also recording 24hrs.
Infra red and remote panning also. But still useless.

Sponsored Links
Their name is out of my head at the moment.
But any decent alarm company will set you up with one of these.

Prior to having his alarm fitted, his premises was broken into 3 or 4 times.
Each time they walked out with about £1500 quids worth of tools. :evil:

His alarm is triggered by a beam that stretches invisibly for 300 feet across the yard.
Sometimes thick fog will set it off.

Ive never been in this predicament before so i dont know what to expect from the insurance, has anyone else had any experience that can offer any advice?

I have some photos of my tools that ive sent in etc but my worry is that the invoices for the saw and washer are just eBay statements.
Cheers

I too have had my workshop broken into and power tools taken. I also worried , like you , about receipts and such like as I had no proof of purchase for some off the kit , for example an old wolf drill that was probably only stolen because it was in a Dewalt case. My insurance company asked for any details , serial numbers and receipts available and three or four were brought off ebay some new and some second hand. Ebay details were accepted as were the claim for a couple of tools that had nothing. You may find there is a limit to how much they will pay out but I personally received the full amount I was eligible for.

Ebay's a good shout. Mate of mine's van got done, he found some of them for sale on Ebay. Bought one and said he couldn't wait for delivery and could he pick it up. Fools had the rest of his gear in the house when he turned up :rolleyes:

The insurance company my brother is with paid out based on a list he made. (the last theft)
They asked for no receipts.

Problem was that stuff was stolen he didn't know about until he went looking for it a few months later. So he was underpaid for his loss.

You should have told the police that you were a sandwich supplier for Tesco,see how fast they would have turned up :eek:

It sounds like the alarm had a master blaster connected to it. They can be connected to any alarm system and will drive crims out of a building in seconds. Just be careful not to set it off when you're in there!

I remember someone on here saying the insurance loss adjuster was willing to accept user manuals for some of the tools claimed for, as proof of ownership in lieu of receipts.

Thanks all!

Ill have to see if i can dig out some of the instruction booklets!

Would it be wrong of me to get these from others if i cant find my own, i am not sure if that would been seen as fraud or not?

It's not fraud to make a claim for tools that you genuinely owned.

no, i know that much :), what about supplying instruction booklets that are not my own though. if i can get any that is.
I have an invoice for all of my bosch tools and a picture of half of them, i have an ebay invoice for my saw and pressure washer but if i could supply instructions aswell it might help speed things up, but i was thinking it may be useful for the tools that i dont have invoices of.

i just dont want to put myself in any risk etc

Sponsored Links
Back