Unusual Shower set-up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've had a plumber install a new shower over that bath.

All working ok. But because I wanted a pump fitted for a power shower, he took two new feeds to the shower. One from the hot water tank and one from the cold water storage tank in the loft. He fitted a pump in the hotpress beside the hot water tank and has run the pipes up into the attic then down through the stud wall behind the tiled wall.

He had to take down the stud wall in the bedroom behind partially to fit and drilled through the tiles to take in the new pipework then replastered the wall in the bedroom. I though it was a great job and quite smart.

However, a few weeks later to get the shower running isn't so easy. As the water is being pumped up and then down you have to hang the shower hose down as low as it will go and shake it a bit to get the water flowing.

I assume the water is flowing back in the pipes when off as the pressure is low and the pipe work for the cold is as high as the tank in the loft. The next time you turn on there isn't the flow to start the pump and the cycle continues.

I thought I'd try to fix my self by adding two non return valves on the hot and cold which fixed the problem partially, it works straight away now when turned on but the pressure isn't as good.

Any other solutions to fix?

I phoned the plumber but he told me the only way to do it better is to take the pipes along the floor but I'd have to remove the tiles which I don't want to do....

Any advice is very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Any other solutions to fix?
The proper way - fit a negative head pump, which will contain the appropriate valves and pressure sensor rather than just a flow sensor.

The cheapo way - fit a retractive pull cord switch to start the pump.

You also need to check that there are bleed valves on the high points of the pipework and that's there's no air in the system.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back