Unusual TV plug..blue & brown wires wrapped around circl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

I just brought an old TV I had to mine after my flatscreen just stopped working - No idea what happened to it.

But the TV I have is a 32" widescreen, 1 of the big models.

I haven't seen the type of plug on it before, the end of the wire from the TV has an orange circle with the blue and brown wires wrapped around it, I dont have any of the rest of the plug.

I havent seen it before and have no idea how it is meant to work..

I unwrapped the wires and attached them to a normal plug but it didn't work.

Anyone know what it is and what I need to get it working?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Im looking for the camera here now :)

But I dont have the actual plug from it - I haven't used the TV in around 2 years.

What I have is the lead for the plug coming from the TV then at the end a small orange circle (Around 1.5 cm, hollow) and has the blue and brown wires wrapped around that.

It doesnt look like a normal plug at all to connect to the prongs.
The wires were wrapped around it completely, so none of the wire was left free to connect to anything.

Not sure how to describe it to be honest, never seen anything like it before and because I dont have the end of the plug, I dont know how its meant to be connected

How many cores are in the cable?
Blue & brown you have mentioned.
Is there an earth? Green & yellow?
Might be an import if no earth.

Sponsored Links
From the back of the TV:

JVC

Model AV-28F3SJ
220-240 V - 50 hz

The cable just has the brown and blue, both having around 10 thin copper (looking anyway) wires that were wrapped around the orange circle, I unwrapped those and connected them to a normal plug but no power at all.

Then your telly's forked, by the looks of things!!

The TV was working fine before, the plug itself was broke a long time ago (Not the connections) so I just have to know how to do the connection to get it working..

There's no problem with the TV itself at all :)

I've no idea what your orange thing is.

It's just a television set.
Cut the cable back to 'newer' part then if you connect it correctly to a normal plug and the fuse is ok it should work.

If it does not then I would assume the tv has died. It is not worth repairing.

I bought a similar model on ebay. It cost £8.09 and it's perfect.

Hey EFL,

Thanks very much for the reply and help :)

I have tried to do this using the wires that were wrapped around the orange circle but it didn't work.

I'm going to give it another go now - The wires I "unwrapped" werent twisted together, maybe they needed to be connected to each other.

I'm going to twist them together and connect them to a plug again now.

Thanks again for the help!

The TV was working fine before, the plug itself was broke a long time ago (Not the connections) so I just have to know how to do the connection to get it working..

There's no problem with the TV itself at all :)

So it was working a long time ago, but isn't now.

So it was working a long time ago, but isn't now.

Someone stood on the plug, that was the only problem.

I didn't fix the plug at the time because I wasn't using the TV but it was working perfectly.

If the "orange thing" was a ring then it might be a toroidal core.

If the wires were wound around the core through the hole in the ring then it might have been a suppressor to prevent high frequency electrical noise travelling to or from the TV along the mains cable.

Not being there would not stop the TV working.

It might be that the lead has been damaged and one or both the wires have broken inside the insulation with no obvious damage to the outer sheath.

If you twist the bare wires together then you will blow the fuse in the plug.

If you twist the bare wires together then you will blow the fuse in the plug.

Sorry, I meant twist the actual blue wire and brown wire separate, I dont think it would make much difference because the current should still travel through the full length as long as its connected to the plug.

Maybe the lead is damaged...

It has just been sitting around for a very long time not used, I gave a charity a lend of my flatscreen because they had an exhibit...it didn't work at all when I got it back.

I was hoping it was just the fuse but that didn't help, they said they dont know what even happened to it so I don't even know what I should check for to fix it.

Thanks everyone for helping :)

The wires I "unwrapped" werent twisted together, maybe they needed to be connected to each other.

Sorry - I can't work out what's going on.

What exactly do you mean by this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back