Unvented cylinder on chipboard?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There has been a leak and there is a lot of water everywhere. The chipboard and ceiling boards are soaked and I have had to remove lots of insulation, the tank is still standing.

There has been a leak and there is a lot of water everywhere. The chipboard and ceiling boards are soaked and I have had to remove lots of insulation, the tank is still standing.

But what are you watching on TV?

We have just had a old gravity system removed and a new system boiler installed, the unvented cylinder has been placed in the loft. The loft is boarded with chipboard and the cylinder is sat in the middle of two joists with a wall running underneath.

Totally and completely, until it leaks halfway though a service, the chipboard gets wet and crumbles, then collapses sideways onto the wall underneath. Meanwhile, the movement has caused a pipe to split, and the celings come down because it got waterlogged. And because you were out when it happened (or fast asleep) then the downstairs gets flooded as well.

Naw, nothing to worry about at all, why would there be.

You what?

:eek:You could sell a lot of tickets :)

Chipboard is capable of supporting weight. When it is not waterlogged.

PS. I live O&B confidence in self certification. But he is an impressive Googler.

Jesus, some really thick people on this forum. Did I say it was an acceptable situation to have a cylinder needing to be supported by the pipes attached to it or that it would last long like this? No I didn't, I said that's the job of the floor, not the pipes, so you 3 commenting about this STFU. The fact is that the pipes do support them to some extent, so its never putting its full weight on the floor. Learn some basic physics.

My unvented cylinder in on chipboard (green) between joists and has been for 15 years. The board is fine. If it was under any kind of stress, I'm pretty sure it would be showing signs of it.

Last edited:
Shut up George you can't even spell your own name mate

Tanks and cisterns should not be on a chipboard base.
Will it collapse? Probably not.
Would I do it? No

Just replaced 2 cwsc this week and the cupboard base was completely rotten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back