Unvented cylinders and solar panels

OP the gain you will get varies from day to day but apart from the crappiest days you will get something
if the system is sized and installed correctly you can get cheaper hot water most of the year.
free - never
as you say the time you need the most water is in the morning this isn't a problem as you use the water heated the day before - topped up by the boiler
i have seen several installs like you describe and every landlord/hotelier i have met is happy with their system
use the solar to preheat and the boiler to top up in the morning
my own panel fitted on my old house was south facing (30 tube Apricus collector) it produced hot water without a boiler top up from may to oct (boiler wasn't even switched on) the cylinder was a 220 litre solar unvented cylinder fitted in the loft.
during the winter a 10 to 15 min top up in the morning produced enough hot water for daily use including an 8" rain water shower fitted in the bathroom

Holidays in Southampton for me this year then :cool:

Sponsored Links
did the OP state anywhere he had an E/W roof?

You do seem to have trouble with what are fairly simple concepts.

The roof would have to be a N/S roof to have an east facing pitch.

You wrote
Why would he need some East facing collectors? is your thinking that they would contribute more to the system for early morning showers? if so, its wrong.

Let's take this one step at a time so you don't get left behind.

You mention "early morning". ok? with me so far?

The sun rises (this is early morning remember) in the EAST (actually in mid summer it's near north-east).

Your question was "is your thinking that they would contribute more to the system for early morning showers?"

Since a south facing panel would have zero incident sunlight on it if the sun was in the east, it must be obvious to even the most dim-witted haddock that an east facing panel would contribute MORE.

Comprendez?

Oilman
You may know about oil boilers but you know jack **** about solar the fact that you've fitted a Willis makes that more than clear, perhaps your another one install know all.

I have spaces available in our training center which clearly you need to visit pm me for available dates.

Op you may find the attached useful
GALLERY]

Oh, you run a brain wash..., er sorry, training centre do you? Now why would I want to be trained in how to fit kit which has an almost infinite payback time?

Do you do fast track plumbing courses?

Sponsored Links
Oh, you run a brain wash..., er sorry, training centre do you? Now why would I want to be trained in how to fit kit which has an almost infinite payback time?

Is that the best you can up with :rolleyes: you that claims to have a Willis system :LOL: your a joke :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oilman
You may know about oil boilers but you know jack s**t about solar the fact that you've fitted a Willis makes that more than clear, perhaps your another one install know all.

I have spaces available in our training center which clearly you need to visit pm me for available dates.

Two unvented cylinders? One heat bank/thermal store could do the lot.

Oilman
You may know about oil boilers but you know jack s**t about solar the fact that you've fitted a Willis makes that more than clear, perhaps your another one install know all.

BB
You surprise me :LOL:

Oilman

yes 1 may do but thermal stores lose heat very quickly and in my experience people are dissatified with them whereas unvented i have never had a complaint
as previously quoted use the correct controller and it should be trouble free RESOL have a controller for most applications
as for East /west collectors these don't produce as much as a south facing collector it also depends on where the OP actually lives as to the amount of solar gain he will recieve

yes 1 may do but thermal stores lose heat very quickly and in my experience people are dissatified with them whereas unvented i have never had a complaint
as previously quoted use the correct controller and it should be trouble free RESOL have a controller for most applications
as for East /west collectors these don't produce as much as a south facing collector it also depends on where the OP actually lives as to the amount of solar gain he will recieve

I agree the standing heatloss from an unvented cant be bettered unless of course BB knows better ;)

Why fit one rust bucket, when 2 un-vented will last a lot longer :rolleyes:

Im intreuged
why would the laws of thermal dynamic alter between different appliances? if considering they had the same level of insulation?
the latent heat loss is measurable and as the medium is water, both are the same.
its termed the latent heat loss of water, its a physics standard.

er, coz they don't go Kaaabbbooooommm you should know that by now

sorry thats never happened in this country.

amazingly I wrote a piece about it

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=851722#851722

Im intreuged
why would the laws of thermal dynamic alter between different appliances? if considering they had the same level of insulation?
the latent heat loss is measurable and as the medium is water, both are the same.
its termed the latent heat loss of water, its a physics standard.

er, coz they don't go Kaaabbbooooommm you should know that by now

sorry thats never happened in this country.

amazingly I wrote a piece about it

Come on WDIK keep up you don't write about it as frequently as BB do you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back