Unvented not DIY!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing another thread on here relating to unvented hot water got me remembering videos on my training course.
Certainly not applicable in this case the poster just wanted help to find a qualified fitter, but often people do want to DIY.
I had a little Google and this is pretty impressive. Worth saving to post when DIY guys will not listen!

Sponsored Links
One of the Mythbusters videos. More of the original video is HERE

Another one with a larger cylinder is HERE

To avoid putting the fear of disaster to people with a correctly installed and maintained unvented cylinder in their house the conditions that the cylinder was subjected to should be mentioned

To create the explosions all the safety devices were removed from these cylinders and the water was then heated by an electric immersion heater without any thermostatic control.

Last edited:
When I was with BG we were called to a site by the fire brigade, they suspected a gas explosion, it was an unvented that a farmer had fitted with a sold fuel burner with no temp control or any kind of pressure releif, what a mess couldnt beleive the damage it caused, thankfully no one in when it went bang :evil:

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Trouble is that some people never listen, probably thinking it won’t happen to them. Other end the scale is we have people in our homes from other countries who think it’s ok to mess with electrics, or who think it’s ok to install against regulations.

Sponsored Links
I have heard some Water Companies have been experiencing issues whereby they've been to inspect and have condemned illegal Douche installations, having found connection has been made directly to the mains, obviously completely flouting Water regulations. However, because these Douches are required for religious reasons, the occupants of the properties have not taken kindly to being told they must be disconnected and/or removed. Threats and abuse then follow.

Has to beg the question how many of these illegal installations are now fitted in properties in the UK.

Has to beg the question how many of these illegal installations are now fitted in properties in the UK.

I’ve seen a few, and told them to remove or I have removed them myself. I feel not I report to our housing enforcement team.

If they're installed correctly then there's no problem. It's not that they cant be used, they just shouldn't be hooked into the mains water.

The issue, in my experience, is the individuals that want them don't want to follow the regs and the expense to have them installed correctly. I've refused to install them a few times. Unfortunately a lot of 'home grown plumbers' are quite happy to fit them.

As far as I'm concerned anything that needs specific components to be installed correctly and legally should be sold together and not separately.

Someone wants a douche, then you buy it in a pack along with an AB cistern with weir, they shouldn't be legal to buy on their own IMO.

I feel not I report to our housing enforcement team.
Would love to see any housing enforcement team tell a muslim they cant have a bum shower , they will just sign an order to pay for it to be fitted correctly , or literally , the shoite will hit the fan, they will pull the race card

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back