Upgrading doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Was wondering if I can get some advice.

I live in a 80s built house and My current doorbell has a old wire from the front to the chime itself which is battery powered. I do not believe this is electrically powered.

I am considering upgrading to a Ring pro doorbell which requires power and a transformer. What is the best way to do this and is it a feasible option to go electric powered without too much mess rewiring?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no way off telling without more information
your wiring may be say 12v so you may need minor or major work to supply mains into the transformer then into the present wiring
batteries are electrical so it is electrically powered i assume you mean mains powered :D

Just go down the shops and get a wireless one with 2 sounders.
Plug one in downstairs and take the battery one upstairs.
Stick the bell outside.

Job done.
Replace the batteries next year. and so on.

Simple

From Amazon who sell this stuff.

Requires professional installation by a qualified electrician; Requires an existing hardwired doorbell; See, hear and speak to anyone at your door from your smartphone, tablet or pc; Watch over your home in crystal-clear 1080HD video; Get instant alerts when visitors press your doorbell or trigger the built-in motion sensors.

Find a "tradesman" good luck with that. And then be forever watching your phone to see who is ringing your doorbell when your not in. Get a battery powered bell as advised.

Sponsored Links
Stick the bell outside.

Job done.

Simple

But that is not the "Ring" doorbell that he wants.

Wireless when not needed. Remember the old game of ringing a door bell and running away. First to get caught lost the game. Now with modern technology some door bells can be safely rung without any risk of being caught, even of the victim is behind the front door and opens it while the bell is ringing.

Stick the bell outside.

Job done.

Simple
If you are going to do that, buy this kit, then the only battery you need fret about is the one in the push and they last for ages!
I bought this kit in June 2016 which was recommended here and it's still going strong.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Wir...184&sr=8-6&keywords=lloytron+plug+in+doorbell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back