Upside down 3 pin plug?

I'm curious - What did you have in mind for a top-entry cord that couldn't just be done with a regular BS1363 plug with the cord hanging in a small loop below? Unless, perhaps, it's for use with one of those older surface-mount sockets which somebody mounted so low on the skirting board that there's barely room for anything larger than lamp flex to exit at the bottom without being jammed tight.

Sponsored Links
I'm curious - What did you have in mind for a top-entry cord that couldn't just be done with a regular BS1363 plug with the cord hanging in a small loop below? Unless, perhaps, it's for use with one of those older surface-mount sockets which somebody mounted so low on the skirting board that there's barely room for anything larger than lamp flex to exit at the bottom without being jammed tight.

Pretty spot on. Its a kitchen work surface, just below a window, with just enough room for a double socket, which was fitted without taking space into consideration. Its an ideal place to have the radio.

Pretty spot on. Its a kitchen work surface, just below a window, with just enough room for a double socket, which was fitted without taking space into consideration. Its an ideal place to have the radio.
I'm not sure whether this has been suggested but, although it's not the most aesthetically appealing of solutions, if you plugged an appropriate 'adapter' into the socket, you could then plug your radio into the outlet on the top of the adapter.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure whether this has been suggested but, although it's not the most aesthetically appealing of solutions, if you plugged an appropriate 'adapter' into the socket, you could then plug your radio into the outlet on the top of the adapter.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, but this would bring the radio too far from the wall

Sponsored Links
Cross-posted with you......

Thanks, but this would bring the radio too far from the wall
Ah, so you want the radio to stand right in front of the socket then?

Just how tight is the bottom of the socket to the worktop? (Any chance of a photo?) Different types of 13A plug do give slightly different clearances at the bottom. You might be able to find a brand which gives just enough room for the smaller flex on a radio without having to jam it in too tight.

Get an electrician to turn the socket upside down.

Can you fit one of these in its place? The total height is just over 2CM less than a standard socket so can be positioned higher up. This is of course a surface mounted socket.

What about buying a new radio that comes with a 'wall wart' plug where the lead is at the top?

Or just use a 13 amp adapter, and plug into the top or side.

Easy.

EDIT. Just seen the radio has to go right back to the wall.

Not if it means you don't have any wiring to do or ugly upside down sockets.

If you did have the socket upside down, you can get radio mains leads with moulded 13 amp plugs, so at least there wouldn't be a problem with objects or liquids entering the plug where the flex emerges.

By the time you allow for the molding and the flex emerging straight out of that, would it really save any depth over plugging into the top/side of a 2/3-way adapter?

Its a kitchen work surface, just below a window, with just enough room for a double socket, which was fitted without taking space into consideration.
When, and by whom, was the socket fitted without taking space into consideration?

The socket was fitted before we had the place. My son has a radio with top fitting plug as described earlier which fits a treat. But we don't want to buy a new radio. Thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back