Upstairs light not working... (pictures attached)

Sponsored Links
But the wiring in picture in jpg 634 (bed 3) does not match that of the gym room in the video?

En tout cas, I think you have your 3 blacks mixed up in the bedroom next to the gym room.

Two of them are neutrals and one is a switch wire. Think you have one neutral going to one side of the lamp holder (mistaken for the switched line) and the other neutral and the switch wire are on the other?

Sorry I have made a mistake as you order is not in line with picture order which I though it was l. Ok..

728 bathroom
504 hallway
420 bedroom 1
634 bedroom 2
451 bedroom 3

Thats right now. Sorry!

Sponsored Links
But the wiring in picture in jpg 634 (bed 3) does not match that of the gym room in the video?

En tout cas, I think you have your 3 blacks mixed up in the bedroom next to the gym room.

Two of them are neutrals and one is a switch wire. Think you have one neutral going to one side of the lamp holder (mistaken for the switched line) and the other neutral and the switch wire are on the other?

Thank you that's done it!

After all that it was a light I had never touched! Maybe my wiring skills arnt so bad

At the rose before the last on the circuit, the incoming neutral goes to the "line" side of the lamp holder.

The other neutral (outgoing to the gym room) is connected to the switch wire, these are on the neutral side of the lamp holder.
When the penultimate rose's switch is closed but the last rose's switch is open, the circuit completes as normal, lighting the penultimate lamp at full brightness.

Close the last rose's switch and the circuit completes through the two filaments back to the neutral, giving a reduced brightness.

I didn't try swapping them because wasn't sure if it would trip but tried all combinations before I got there and not tripped just the odd light not working. Anyway thank you very much for your help on the matter all sorted now.

At the rose before the last on the circuit, the incoming neutral goes to the "line" side of the lamp holder...
Ah. Very well deduced.

So, in picture 634 there were:

A (should be) 'Neutral' in with switched live.
A red sleeve on the actual Neutral.
The lamp wires the wrong way round.

All this in the light which OP 'had never touched"

All this in the light which OP 'had never touched"

That could be the case.

The fault at the penultimate light fitting was already there when the OP moved in and the line to the gym room had been disconnected to stop the series lamps business.

That would explain why the gym room light never worked.

Once the OP had rectified the connection at the penultimate rose, the series wiring reared its ugly head again.

Last edited:
Scrub that. The OP says it used to work, so it can't have been like that since he bought the house.

About 6 months ago bedroom 1 had a ceiling rose put in replacing an old light fitting that is when the problem has occurred but at that time bedroom 3 was not in use so the problem was never noticed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back