Upstairs light not working... (pictures attached)

Sponsored Links
Not only misleading. The fault could be because of a disconnected live or neutral. A glowy scredriver will not help you if a neutral is missing!

Has any of you read my last post...

UPDATE - Ok after replacing the rose with choc blocks inside the hallway seem i have messed something up. The bedroom (bedroom3) i originally posted about now works

Well, that's something. The fault seems to have been something to do with the hallway wiring.

but when switch on turns the light on in bedroom1 (dim). This process also vice versa.

Switch on which switch? Sounds like you have wired something in series. Not sure what
This process also vice versa
means.:(

The Bathroom is working normally but hall doesn't come on unless bedroom is on.

Did you change the ceiling wiring in Bed 3?

Just to confirm I have not changed anything on bedroom 1 or bedroom 2, bedroom 3 is the room that this post is all about and the bathroom and hallway are what I put choc blocks in rather than the rose being inside the decorative fitting.

Luckily I pictured all of them (posted on here). I presumed all fitting in the centre terminals on a ceiling rose can all be put in the same choc, is this not the case?

Yes. The incoming (and outgoing line loop if present) go in the centre terminal of a rose, along with the line to the switch. If replacing a rose with terminal blocks, these all go together in one block.

The switched line from the switch goes to the other side of the lamp holder.

The neutral(s) go together in another block, along with the neutral(s) to the lamp holder(s).

The earths all go together in another block, along with the earth to the fitting.

If I was right thinking that then I may just have got something mixed up. I'll double check it tomorrow but all before and after pics are on this post if somebody can spot something. Wow thought I'd done well tidying up those connections: maybe not o_O

;) Did you mark any of the cables so you know which wire in the new arrangement went to which terminal in the old set-up?

I didnt mark them just took pictures but looking at 'halllway' and 'hallway fix' and 'bathroom' 'bathroom fix' from what I can see it is wired up as was before just in choc blocks rather than ceiling rose, would you agree?

Sponsored Links
I'll agree that those screwdrivers can be misleading in their results, but if you look at the so called instructions, they say nothing about how to actually use a multimeter in a diagnostic manner; all they're doing is explaining the points of the meter, and sticking meter probes in the wrong place can be even more dangerous than the screwdrivers.
Then the answer is to learn how what you want to check with it works, to learn what needs to be checked for, to learn how a multimeter works and to learn how to use it to do the checks you want.

There really only two ways for the OP to sort out the problem.

Either:
Or:
  • Get an electrician.
Telling him to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why is irresponsible. He really should know what, and truly understand what, he is doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

Telling him to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why is irresponsible. He really should know what, and truly understand what, he is doing.

And just what the bloody hell is this forum about, if not doing exactly what you're saying he shouldn't be doing. We guide people along in fairly simple steps, then then expect their common sense to kick in when they get beyond their abilities. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but you can't have it both ways; are we here to help, or to preach.

I have some knowledge of how circuits work and hopefully with the help of you guys will get it sorted today although I feel we are going a little off topic here

Hey, they found that Japanese kiddy!

(Sorry, couldn't resist that one!)

I didn't mark them just took pictures but looking at 'hallway' and 'hallway fix' and 'bathroom' 'bathroom fix' from what I can see it is wired up as was before just in choc blocks rather than ceiling rose, would you agree?

Can't see the new pix to compare.

UPDATE- Almost there please check video.

And just what the bloody hell is this forum about, if not doing exactly what you're saying he shouldn't be doing.
It is to show them how to do things.

If they don't have the tools to do the job, then it is impossible.

Quite frankly, I can't even follow the OP's posts.

We guide people along in fairly simple steps, then then expect their common sense to kick in when they get beyond their abilities. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but you can't have it both ways;
Does that make sense?
are we here to help, or to preach.
If you want to call it preaching that is up to you.
Page after page of the same questions with no information is not going to solve the problem.

My car won't start. What's wrong with it? I only have a pair of scissors.

Heres the video, last 2 rooms are the problem. Small gym room is original fault.

OK, thanks. Can you take some good clear close-ups of all the cable joints at the ceiling positions so we can compare them with your previously posted pictures before you altered things?

Is the gym room the one with only 2 cables at the ceiling?

OK, thanks. Can you take some good clear close-ups of all the cable joints at the ceiling positions so we can compare them with your previously posted pictures before you altered things?

Is the gym room the one with only 2 cables at the ceiling?

Yes gym room last room with white lamp shade you can see weight bench in video. Before I tidied up cable with choc block in decorative light fittings (bathroom & hallway) the gym room light didn't come on at all.

Attachments

• 20160603_120728.jpg
    20160603_120728.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 20160603_120634.jpg
    20160603_120634.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 20160603_120504.jpg
    20160603_120504.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 20160603_120451.jpg
    20160603_120451.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 321
  • 20160603_120420.jpg
    20160603_120420.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 355
The last 3 digits of the jpg file numbers of the post pictures...

Can you write the room name against each?

728:
504:
420:
634:
451:

So we can compare with you previously posted "pre" pictures?

The last 3 digits of the jpg file numbers of the post pictures...

Can you write the room name against each?

728:
504:
420:
634:
451:

So we can compare with you previously posted "pre" pictures?

Sure..

728 bathroom
504 bedroom2
420 hallway
634 bedroom3
451 bedroom1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back