Upstairs lighting issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello yesterday morning my partner woke up and turned on the bathroom light and everything upstairs went dark.

when I got downstairs to the fuse box a circuit had tripped and when I flicked it back to on I still have no lights working upstairs. 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and hall light.

We have a second hall light upstairs that was put in when we converted the loft which is working.

All sockets in each of the rooms that have no lights all still work. Just no lights.

I have tried removing all of the bulbs and checking them one at a time if any of them come on with the circuit breaker on to no avail.

I have also tried swapped the circuit for the same equivalent amp circuit and I still have no avail.

I have tried removing all light switches to see if there is a loose connection behind any of the fittings and all seems to be well.

I am not an electrician and don’t have any sort of tools or multimeters to check for voltage throughout the house.

curious if there is anything else that I can try. I will attach a photo of the fuse box and the circuit breaker culprit. Thanks in advanced for your suggestions and help.

mark

ps the offending circuit breaker is the one set to off(just set to off for the picture)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 225
Sponsored Links
So the circuit break stays on, but you don't have any upstairs lights working?

Is that correct?

Since a 16amp circuit breaker is fairly unusual for domestic lighting, you could have a look for a fused connection unit which may contain a 5 or 3amp fuse somewhere in the house.

Just a theory.

May not be the case at all...

Quote ..."I have also tried swapped the circuit for the same equivalent amp circuit and I still have no avail".

What exactly does this mean / what did you do ?

Sponsored Links
I can’t see a fused connection unit or anything else sparkwright.

so the 16amp circuit breaker that tripped originally has been swapped with a new one I bought online.

sorry for the confusion terryplumb

I thought it a bit strange that a 16amp fuse was feeding only lights. Usually 5amp max from previous experience. I don’t have much knowledge on the history of the wiring as we only moved in 3/4 years ago

Thanks for clarifying ,are you certain it was a 16 amp breaker ,as said above that is odd for a domestic lighting circuit. What circuit does the 5 amp breaker supply ?
To be frank without a multimeter ,which you can buy for around ten quid, you are not likely to get very far.
The cable size connected to that 16 amp breaker needs to be investigated ,it's likely the breaker is too high an amperage.

Yeah I still have the only one here and they are identical and it was 100% that one which tripped. I’ll check tomorrow what the 5 amp supplies as I’m not quite sure. Appreciate your help

Did the breaker trip at the instant the bathroom light was switched on?
If it did ,the wiring at the bathroom light fitting and it's switch would be worth looking at.
What kind of ceiling lights are in the bathroom ?

Yeah it was my partner who switched them on she can’t remember if they flickered or just cut out. They are 4 recessed lights. Not sure how they are wired. The are powered on and off by a pull cord. I have tried disconnecting that and also removing all 4 bulbs to see if a bedroom light would work which it doesnt

The " new light" ,2nd upstairs hall one ,is that on the same circuit ( 16 amp breaker) ? And does it still work ?

No it’s on a separate fuse box completely. Was surprised when it worked but I forgot it was wired with the loft

Do you have access in the loft ( which I assume is directly above the bathroom) where the cables to bathroom lights run ?
Have you recently been in the loft ??

The wiring I believe(not sure)Would be in the eves above the bathroom. Again I’m not 100% sure how it was wired as was all in place when we bought the house. not been touched in months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back