UPVC Door - Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is it possible to change the hinges on my door from butt to flag

When the door is shut (handle lifted up) I have a visible gap running down the handle side of the door

When it's windy you can feel the wind coming through

I've tried adjusting the butt hinges but they won't adjust enough

If I can swap them for flag I'll have more adjustment

Thanks in advance

Kev

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that

The existing holes I'll cover with silicone

So is it easy to remove hinges / door just I've not removed one before

Is it basically remove all grab screws

Remove all top of hinge covers

Then door should lift off

Please advise if possible, also which flag hinges do I get, is there different sizes

I'm quite handy at DIY just I've never done a upvc door before

Thanks

Kev

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/hinges-stays/door-hinges/

Remove and replace one hinge at a time making sure the door hasn't sagged over to one side, prop it off the wall if needs be, take a look at the hinges in the link and take a note of the sizes they are suitable for, most notably the rebate height i.e the thickness of the door sash and how far away from the frame face the door face is, choose a hinge that includes various sized shims/packers that fit between the hinge and frame

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The hinges are all marked and drilled with jigs with the door flat on a bench so if you take your door off completely and fit the flags to the door sash you then need to lift the door back into the frame and pack it so its sits square and with equal coverage all round to be able to mark the frame for the other half of the hinge, it would just be a right pain, doors aren't light ;)

Hmmm, your not able to get to the screws that screw into the door. :cry: Feck, it looks like you will have to take the door right off, hope you have plenty of patience, remove tiny grub screw which should become visible when door is open, knock hinge pin out (upwards), door falls off, catch, lay on floor, celebrate with cup of tea

Hahah. Thats what i thought, the screws are hidden impossible to remove

So its gonna be a right Tw.t to do then ???

Is there an easy way once door is off and hinges screwed to it or is it a balancing act, door in one hand drill in other hahahaha

With the hinge pin out on say the top one open the door fully and see if it'll bend/curl in a bit so you can take the screws out the edge of the door, once that bits off you can close the door and the other screws will be visible then, do that for the bottom as well, the middle might be a bit trickier

I get your drift good idea

There is 4 hinges already is this needed or can i just go for 3

Also these pins you say knock out upwards, ive looked underneath them and there is a allen key type hole, do i remove that aswell or is it that im knocking up and out (after removing grub scre)

4 is better than 3, you will also cover the holes in the frame if you stick with 4.

The grub screw only holds the pin in place otherwise with all the opening and closing they have a tendancy to ride up. The allen key hole will probably be for in and out adjustment, the hinge pin is mounted concentrically so a full 360 degree turn will move the door in and out (to gain more compression on the gaskets), the hinge pin should knock upwards, i'd be very suprised if it comes out the bottom, the hinge could be on upside down though so you never know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back