Upvc fascia noggins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting new 18mm upvc fascia, if the rafter feet are ok can I nail my two 65mm polytop nails straight into these or should I fit noggins to all the rafter feet and then nail to these. Somewhere on web recommended using 6"x1" noggins on ends of rafters.

Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
I was going to nail to the existing rafter feet as long as they are in good condition, its just that I was looking on web and found page which said about fixing 6x1 noggins to end of each rafter.

I think that’s if the rafter feet aren’t spot on ie to get the fascia dead straight. And for the soffit.

Sponsored Links
Ok, if rafters don't allow fascia to be fitted straight then fit the noggins. Rafters are 40x100mm, so if have to fit noggins would you use 6x1" noggins.

Can’t see why not. When I did mine I used bits of 4x2 or anything else I had lying around. Just needs to be strong enough to hold the fascia nails.
I used a line to get them level if that helps.

You can use offcuts of fascia as noggins to get it perfect and still drive the nail into the rafter so it will never sag.

If you use upvc offcuts as noggins, what about the gap between rafter and fascia when you are nailing in, would of thought fascia should be tight against rafter.

The problem with nailing into the rafter tails, is that you are nailing in to end grain with very fine and short pins, and they don't stay in very well. With the regular expansion movement of the plastic, this is not a very secure fixing. So always fit something like noggins, but as this is a lot of messing about, better to fit a continuous backing board. Which then begs the question "Why bother with stupid 18mm fascia in the first place?"

So carcassing it with timber/osb and using a capping board is the way to go and means you don’t need noggins? Might do it that way next time when I do me garage. Would you do the soffit that way too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back