UPVC window hinges / damaged / twisted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed today that when I close my 2nd storey bathroom (UPVC) window, the top remains slightly ajar (acts as a kind of trickel filter I guess!).
I'm assuming that the hinge / runner mechanism has become a little twisted (unless anyone has an alternative suggestion?).

Couple of queries:
1) Are these windows easily removed (from the inside)
2) Are the hinges easily replaced?

Thanks in advance
JP

Sponsored Links
If its twisted,it will be a new hinge...once you close the window and the hinge buckles slightly,it's knackered.

It is possible to take window out from inside,but easier and safer to have two people do it.

Take top screws out first,then bottom ones,leave the middle screw till last either side as it will be the locking screw and the window wont drop or slide unexpectedly when you remove it.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Had a tinker last night:

1 - Cleaned up the frame and hinges (years of grunge on there)
2 - Noticed that the rubber seals on the window and the frame were a little pround of their 'tracks' at the corners. They had not been cut to fit just folded round. So I cut v shaped notches out of the rubber to allow a sungger bevelled fit.
3 - WD40'd all of the pivot points, put some bike chain lube into the runners.
4 - Opened and closed them about 50 times to get the lube into the working parts.

The window doesn't close tightly, but it's a darned sight better, and I couldn't feel a draft with a damp finger - so all in all a 95%, pretty hassle free and cheap success!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back