Urgent help - mains wire found in bathroom screed floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of fitting out my new bathroom. Having removed my raised shower tray I found a gap in the floor leveling compound. Upon closer inspection it seems that there is a 240v 3 core 2.5mm wire running through the gap in the leveling compount. To make matters worse, the outer cover has corroded as the original shower was leaking.

It cant be original to the house as the house originally had red and black coloured wire and this is brown/red. I have no idea what the cable is used for (it is live).

The question is - what do I do with it?

This will be hidden under the shower tray again, and the only think that I think I can do it to cut it, put each side into a connector box, and then maybe use some sheilded (external) 3 core wire attached to the wood under the shower tray in a highly visible position (i.e. off the ground).

Are there any other suggestions? How does my proposal sit against building regs?

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Photo 15-01-2017, 12 11 06.jpg

maybe I dont need the sheilded wire....guess if this is off the ground then regular 3 core is probably ok?

How have you tested for live?

The solid green makes it an old cable, if it is flex.

Sponsored Links
I would switch off the circuits one at a time until you find the circuit it is connected to. Then remove, replace, and re-route, if indeed the cable is actually still has a function.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back