US equipment on UK mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I were to simply change the plug socket on a US water pump would it operate ok or speed up / slow down / burn out?. I do have a big site mains transformer down to 110v....could I just plug an extension into that and then just plug them straight in?

Sponsored Links
running direct off the mains is a definate no-no

you could plug it into a site isolation transformer though you would have to fit the right plug either to the appliance or to an american extention lead

also it may run hot due to the lower frequency so i would keep an eye on it for the first couple of uses

true but i doubt they convert frequency

and personally a site isolation transfrom (which is made to safety isolation standards) more than some "voltage converter" when it comes to the possibility of a fault leaving 240V on the output

Sponsored Links
America being at 60 hz, UK being 50 hz, it will run slower (in theory)

where do you intend to use the pump?

Used loads of american xmas lighting over here via 110v site tranny, obviously frequency doesn't matter on these!

I want to use 4 pumps in an aquarium....UK price £35 each, US price £8.20. The only problem I was thinking is that they may run too warm on the different frquency??

they should only run slower, and if they do "get warm" being pumps in water will that not cool them down? (unless one is an air pump)

have you got the pumps yet?

the reason i ask is that it may cost you almost as much. Did you realise that if you order them from America, you are infact importing them, so you become liable for import duty, and VAT, not to mention the cost of a voltage converter (or big yellow transformer to run them) and you will also invalidate the waranty

which pumps are you looking at?

They are just a couple of hagen aquaclear powerheads. I confess to not being clued up on vat and import duty, but with the pumps only costing £16 I would have thought that it wont come to much, if anything....could be wrong though.
I've got a big yellow transformer, but it may be overkill just to run these...can't make my mind up :confused:
The temperature of the pumps isnt a concern, rather that they may run warm, heating the water up and causing me new headaches!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back