1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

USB built into mains socket

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Markymark240674, 23 Mar 2016.

1. Markymark240674

Markymark240674

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm thinking of purchasing one of these sockets but a bit worried how safe they are, I have been told that they are permanently on if so what are they pulling power wise ? Also they catch fire

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They "pull" very little current, not enough to worry about. Some of the more expensive ones have shutters over the USB ports that disconnect the mains feed when they are not in use.
    There is a very lengthy recent thread on this topic. Go to the search pane and type in "USB Socket". Its all in there and i cannot be bothered to wade through it all for you.

Really? where did you hear that?
    There are lots of reports of plug-in USB chargers catching fire, but I did not hear of a combo socket flaming…

4. Spark123

Spark123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Stick with the decent brands from reputable sources, I wouldn't bother with a cheap one.
    I recently saw a video on youtube where someone (Big Clive) took a cheap one to bits and found the earth connections weren't joined together and relied on you wiring them individually.

5. kai

kai

Buy MK Ones - they are made in Great Britain, as pointed out in the MK advert.

6. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    But even so they still have the problem that when the USB module fails the socket has to be replaced which requires competence in changing a socket. In the worse case the failure of the USB module could create an earth leakage fault which, if an RCD was fitted, would prevent that circuit being powered. Hence several sockets would be without power until the socket was replaced.

7. Echo the husky

Echo the husky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have an MK one here with me. The unit would have to be well alight before it would be possible to cause an earth fault. An RCD tripping would be the least of your problems!

The MK USB charging Euro module is cheaper and easier to replace, and has the benefit of cutting the mains supply when the USB plugs are disconnected. They are made in Indonesia, just like most of the MK products are now.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I fitted an MK one for myself, don't think I'd have anything else. Have fitted a few BG ones, they seem ok

10. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is there no mains filtering on the input to the USB switch mode power unit ? No capacitors between Live and Earth and Neutral and Earth ? Not on a cheap item but on a better quality one there could be. A fault in the filter would create earth leakage,

11. DaveHerns

DaveHerns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How long till they go out of fashion and everyone is swapping them for mini or micro usb sockets? Now there's an idea........

12. Echo the husky

Echo the husky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The only mains filtering is with a common mode choke on the input in the MK ones. It is fitted with a proper Wickman type fuse though T:630mA

13. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unlikely in the short term. USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2 A type, so unless A LOT of manufacturers move over to USB-C type connectors, I can't see it happening any time soon.

14. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links