USB Sticks Going Faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again.

Not having a good week.

In the space of a few days, I've had 2 USB sticks go faulty on me. One was a cheap Staples one I had a few files on that has worked for years.

When that went, I bought another one ( http://www.ebuyer.com/386263-extra-value-32gb-flash-drive-ev-usb32gb-3-0 ) to put files on to transfer to Mrs Secure's new lappy.

Mrs Secure put it in to transfer and all it does is sound insertion and removal, but it is not recognised, no autoplay window comes up and the device is not visible in Computer. It does the same on my desktop.

Is there any hope of retrieving the files?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do either sticks work on other machines?

From your post it sounds like the ebuyer stick worked on a machine for you to put your files onto it, and then when you plugged it into the laptop it wont recognize it?

If so, try plugging it in to another port on the laptop if there are any, and also try plugging in another device into the same port (eg usb mouse or keyboard) just to make sure that the port on the laptop is working.

Sorry, guys. I've just come back to this... thanks for your responses in my absence.

Like I say, the port seems to work, as there is a confirmation tone when it is plugged in, but it is not visible on the host computer, nor does a window pop up.

Tried both sticks elsewhere, but no go.... :cry:

Suppose data recovery will be :eek: bucks?

Sponsored Links
Might it might not just be the case that the file allocation tables are stuffed rather than the sticks being dead?

If so another OS or file recovery program might help, eg Recuva from piriform, they have a free version

Might it might not just be the case that the file allocation tables are stuffed rather than the sticks being dead?

If so another OS or file recovery program might help, eg Recuva from piriform, they have a free version

It'd still show up under My Computer, usually.

Sorry for delay. I did try assigning a new letter, no go.

The drives are kaput. Data recovery possible, according to local company who has examined them, but mega ££££.

Put it down to experience. Buy good quality drives and have multiple copies.....

You say your transferring files to a new laptop?

Why don't you share a folder out so laptop can access it and drag them over

Can't comment on the pen drives, when they stop working there usually funked

The drives are kaput. Data recovery possible, according to local company who has examined them, but mega ££££.

So you were transferring files from a existing computer onto a new laptop, using a USB memory stick?

Don't tell me you cut-and-pasted the files onto the mem stick, rather than copy-and-pasted?
Never a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Back