Useing Expanding Foam at top of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Basic (and probably stupid question) but I have a covered space between our back wall and what was the coal shed (now the bathroom) which shares a common wall with my neighbour - I have just pulled down the ceiling in this area (old sundealar type board) before it fell down and am looking to re-clad this area after applying some insulation.

The current roof is slate, which is in reasonable condition but has no roofing felt - as it was installed pre 1970. leaks managed with a bit of replacing and a little judicial mastic!!! :eek:

I do not want or can afford at this time to strip the roof and re tile as this would mean doing my neighbours half at the same time (makes sense).

before I place solid foam insulation between the rafters I want to fill the gaps on the walls - ridge, external wall etc. I would like to use expanding foam, but it seems all cans only work if turned upside down - which is impractical given the location

Any suggestions how to go about this?

Thanks in advance.
All comments welcome.
Dave

Sponsored Links
Gaps around party walls should be filled with fireproof insulation.
Don't fully fill eaves gaps, you need the ventilation.
Gaps above verges can be fully filled if not needed for ventilation.

Why not use a £3 roll of loft insulation?

Hi RedHerring2

Yes that is the other option - was hoping to use foam for two reasons - 1 to help 'cement' some of the tiles a little in place with the foam - they are in good nick but shift a little - especially at the ridge.

The other is vermin - we live in a rural location and we do get the odd one scurrying around up there - i was hoping rigid expanded foam would stop em getting through from our neighbours (he's an old bloke and doesn't seem to mind them!!! - honestly) I dont like to use a lot of bait as we have cats and dogs and have nearly lost one or two when they catch a mouse after its been poisoned!.

Anyway - i have a part roll of loft insulation (in the loft of all places) and will use that.

And thanks for reminding me about the ventilation at the eaves

Expanding foam on the underside of tiles has had a lotta lotta bad press. Try a search on that.

I appreciate your problem with vermin, see my recent post on mice in the caravan, in the Disaster forum. I'm also aware that mice become "dopey" when partly under the influence, to the extent that even SWMBO has caught one. Try a metal type mesh in the gaps, held in place by the insulation. A fiddly job, I know but, do it once, do it right!

Sponsored Links
stuff the holes with wire wool vermin trying to get through get it stuck in there paws,claws, feet they dont like it.

stuff the holes with wire wool vermin trying to get through get it stuck in there paws,claws, feet they dont like it.

My worry with wire wool is when it corrodes it has a propensity to self combust. And it will corrode! Any flammable material adjacent will catch fire. I agree there shouldn't be any flammable material there, but .....

Try wire wool that's been pumped full of silicone. Or scrunched up chicken wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back