useless push button toilets - how to isolate the water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wonder could someone help.
We have two toilets in our newly built house, both the smaller cistern/push button type.
One is constantly filling/overflowing (making small adjustments seem to stop it filling at all).
The other takes forever to fill for several reasons:
1. the water somehow is able to leak into the bowl as it tries to fill but once it eventually gets up to a certain level this stops????
2. the amount of fill water coming out isn't much to begin with.
3. It makes a deafening vibration/hum from (which i can stop by pushing down on the central flush mechanism - strange as i thought it would have been coming from the fill/water pipe.

Anyway, i'd like to have a go at trying to fix it or replacing it but i cannot see any isolation valve. Its almost like they've put the toilet in and sealed it up to look nice and neat.
My question is are toilets normally fed from the tank in the loft or the mains?
If its the mains is the isolation valve normally in some place (under the sink, outside under a manhole?)
If its the loft tank is there usually an isolation valve there?

thanks in advance everyone...

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Wonder could someone help.
We have two toilets in our newly built house, both the smaller cistern/push button type.
One is constantly filling/overflowing (making small adjustments seem to stop it filling at all).
The other takes forever to fill for several reasons:
1. the water somehow is able to leak into the bowl as it tries to fill but once it eventually gets up to a certain level this stops????
2. the amount of fill water coming out isn't much to begin with.
3. It makes a deafening vibration/hum from (which i can stop by pushing down on the central flush mechanism - strange as i thought it would have been coming from the fill/water pipe.
Anyway, i'd like to have a go at trying to fix it or replacing it but i cannot see any isolation valve. Its almost like they've put the toilet in and sealed it up to look nice and neat.
My question is are toilets normally fed from the tank in the loft or the mains?
If its the mains is the isolation valve normally in some place (under the sink, outside under a manhole?)
If its the loft tank is there usually an isolation valve there?

thanks in advance everyone...
the tiolet shoud be feed of tank i n the attic there should be a valve in ur hot press

Thanks Rob!

I'll try and see if i can find it....

Much appreciated.......

Your toilets are almost certainly fed from the tank - this is why you are have filling problems. The valves nowadays seem to require a bit more pressure to work properly - particularly the upstairs toilet which will have the lowest pressure.

There should be some isolation valves on the main pipes coming down from the tank if you can't find indivitual ones by the toilets.

Sponsored Links
Your toilets are almost certainly fed from the tank - this is why you are have filling problems. The valves nowadays seem to require a bit more pressure to work properly - particularly the upstairs toilet which will have the lowest pressure.

There should be some isolation valves on the main pipes coming down from the tank if you can't find indivitual ones by the toilets.
when buying the tiolets ask for a low presure valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back