User reputations

Most new posters are often told by a lot of people, myself included, if they are not 'experienced' in the field the poster is asking about but we will give an opinion. If there is ever a safety issue, or potential safety issue, I will always tell them to seek professional advice but if it's how to unblock a sink/shower etc then I will try to give sensible advice.
I think what annoys me most is posters who come on with a problem, get lots of similar advice and then don't give feedback as to if any of it worked.

In the plumbing and electrics sub forums, I generally mention that I am not a plumber/electrician.

I too get annoyed that some people don't give feedback. It could potentially help other people visiting the site that don't want to actually post.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps if everyone took the time to introduce themselves when joining forums, people would know them better instead of remaining mystery men? Some won't even admit to their area of 'expertise' or even what industry they work in when asked. Here’s my very first post:

I get what you are saying but I very much doubt that a new member is going to visit the hello section.

I came here for the first time to ask for advice regarding my Ocean Alpha 240P combi. I had no desire to "introduce" myself, I was a consumer of advice rather than a consumer/provider at the time.

I do include my telephone number in my personal profile. It mostly helps other boiler engineers to contact me if they have a problem that I might be able to help them with.

However I notice that the number I have there is no longer accessed very often.

I wanted to replace it with the one that I usually carry.

However, I cannot find out how to edit it. Can anyone explain how to?

Click your name, top right, then click account details. The phone number goes on that page.

Sponsored Links
I do include my telephone number in my personal profile. It mostly helps other boiler engineers to contact me if they have a problem that I might be able to help them with.

However I notice that the number I have there is no longer accessed very often.

I wanted to replace it with the one that I usually carry.

Might it not be more prudent to allow people to PM you rather than publishing your number on the web? I am happy for members to ask me for specific advice via the PM function, and I may reply via my primary email address, but I would not that info to be available to spam bots

I do not see any problem with my number being there.

What can anyone do with it?

I prefer to be communitive and accessible.

I do not like PMs on sites as it is often a long while before I see them. I have an email for anyone to message me and a number where they can text me.

The only very small problem has been one or two people who like repairing gas boilers when they are not registered and I will not give them any specific advice. But that is only a very few people over 20 years.

Perhaps if everyone took the time to introduce themselves when joining forums, people would know them better instead of remaining mystery men? Some won't even admit to their area of 'expertise' or even what industry they work in when asked. Here’s my very first post:

This from some one who will not allow anyone to see anything about them.

However I have no idea what others can see about me. Maybe my details are also hidden? I hope not, I feel there is no harm saying I only trained to level 5, a foundation degree, my maths was not good enough to get a better qualification, and I originally trained as a motor vehicle and bridge mechanic, OK I did a sidewards move and when first into auto electrics, and then low voltage, (auto electricians may be asked to work with 10k volts, so training included high voltage) but in the main 600 volt used by the tunnel boring machine was my limit, however that was an IT supply from 10k volts, transformed down from 11k volts, so yes have worked with high voltage.

However in the main 400 volts was my limit, classed as low voltage, and I did not do the courses required to work on high voltage in the UK. And I have never tried to claim I have training with high voltage. Working in Hong Kong does not really count.

I have worked in Algeria and the Falklands where the comment was typically your an electrician, fix it. And have worked many times where the buck stops with me. I was very aware should some thing go wrong, I was the guy who would end up in court, lucky nothing did go wrong.

I got my degree late in life, I was well before getting my degree the senior guy on site, and classed as the electrical engineer, the degree was only a rubber stamp.

But as to the forum I have never tried to hide my experience. I may answer questions on central heating which is not my area of expertise, but I hope I have always made this plain.

But for some one who hides their details to answer this thread, seems simply wrong, I hope when I retry to view their details I will find the blocking removed?

The
This member limits who may view their full profile.
should not come up with anyone answering this post.

This from some one who will not allow anyone to see anything about them.
Eh? Have you had a bump on the head or something or are you confusing me with someone else? Anything specific you'd like to know? Shoe size? Inside leg measurement?

5BC62067-70C9-41C5-A5C8-BFA524CBD33D.jpeg

I also have a dog, an allotment, I like a glass of wine or two with my weekend meals and I enjoy a nice breakfast.
But for some one who hides their details to answer this thread, seems simply wrong, I hope when I retry to view their details I will find the blocking removed?

The should not come up with anyone answering this post.

Is this aimed at me?

74CBB94A-6FC9-42EF-AB28-712C41FCD7DA.jpeg

Last edited:
I have said as a long time user of the forum I know who are the good guys. And I include both @Mottie and @denso13 as people who in the main talk sense, even I make mistakes, no one is perfect.

However as a new user you have Messages and Thanks received. Which for most regular contributors works out at around 10%. Even if we look at some one who is claimed to be disruptive, and has had many threads locked we see 8,379 Messages and 728 Thanks received, I am sure you can work out who I have looked at, but don't want this thread locked.

So even he has nearly 10%, and he tells us he is from London, no more details. Birthday, and being Male, from UK says very little Steve. And being from UK only says even less.

I am not saying you don't know what you are talking about, I know you do, what I am saying is how do others who have not used the forum for years, work it out?

If I say lights don't give out light but suck in the dark, and support my statement by pointing out candle wicks go black and failed bulbs go black, how can the forum reader realise I am joking. They may think I believe it.

These people who think they know it all, are especially annoying to those of us that do.

Hiding personal information is not always about deception, or being cagey about whether you have the expertise to answer certain questions.

I am cautious about the information I give out, because this is a public forum - although a trawl of my posts would give you an idea of where I lived.
I do not want to put my family at risk of harm from the internets miscreants.

If we take your postings for example, your profile gives your approximate address and age. Further to that, a quick Google of some specific terms, gets me a list of the many forums you are a member of; ranging from canalworld.net, to the homebrew forum.
You have been a prolific poster on social media, and I can find your full name, date of birth and your radio callsign amongst other particulars...including your actual address.
At the very least, you may want to change your privacy settings on Facebook.

All this freely available information is a gift to fraudsters; it can lead to identity theft, and the risk of being scammed.

I wish I could be open about who I was here, but I do not want to make life any easier, for those on the dark side of the web.

...and I truly apologise, if this comes across as an invasion of privacy. It was only meant as a reminder to be mindful of the privacy issues surrounding social media.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back