User reputations

My call sign is in the book, so that will give anyone my address, I have published a family tree, so things like mothers maiden name is clearly pointless. So I do not do any internet banking as I am well aware of how easy it is to get information about myself.

So even if I went ex directory, only need to find an old call book, and I have 4 call signs, two VP8's a VR2 and a GW7 so easy enough.

Sponsored Links
My call sign is in the book, so that will give anyone my address, I have published a family tree, so things like mothers maiden name is clearly pointless. So I do not do any internet banking as I am well aware of how easy it is to get information about myself.

So even if I went ex directory, only need to find an old call book, and I have 4 call signs, two VP8's a VR2 and a GW7 so easy enough.
Fair enough, and if we could all be as open and honest as you, then it would be a better world :)

But for some of us, all our banking is online and privacy is important to us.
That is why we may want to limit the information in our profiles. And I would advise others to do the same.

But for some of us, all our banking is online and privacy is important to us.
That is why we may want to limit the information in our profiles. And I would advise others to do the same.
I respect this, however can't have it both ways, the tread started off
From time to time, I have the misfortune of coming across, let's call them, combative members whom refuse to accept any responses that highlight errors in their replies to new forum members.
To be able to show who really know the subject, and who have a very blinked outlook we need to know more about them, in some cases we do see them else where @flameport for example, but in the main we don't.

Personally I consider advice given, and work out is this advise reasonable, so if we look at some thing I have not studied in collage, central heating for example, some one says, or I read a book, which says do not fit a TRV in the same room as the wall thermostat. The reason given is they will fight each other. Seems fair enough.

Then I read that the boiler works out what output is required by the temperature of the return water, and this also seems fair enough, however if that is the case what is the wall thermostat for.

Again I read the TRV can't turn off the boiler in warm weather, so we need a wall thermostat to turn off boiler when not required.

Now this does not seem to line up with the original statement. And it continues to say the wall thermostat should be placed in a room which is not kept too warm, as want it to switch off when weather gets warm, and with no outside doors, on the ground floor as heat raises, and no alternative heating.

Now I have a problem, no such room in any of my homes over the last 30 years.

So now it comes to using my own brain, and I question information given, it was mothers house I had problem with, so I bought a TRV, let the pressure out of the system, had the carpet washer on stand-by to suck up any water, and fitted the new TRV, I hate plumbing, but it went well, very little water spilt, and now had a TRV in the hall with the wall thermostat.

It worked, I was not sure it would, but considering it after, it made so much sense, when the front door is opened the hall cools, so the TRV and the wall thermostat warms the room, but before it reaches the target temperature the TRV starts to close, so speed of reheat reduces, allowing other rooms in the home to also warm up, and only on warm days does the wall thermostat turn off stopping the boiler cycling.

It became clear the advice was for non modulating boilers, and today unless linked one does have a TRV and wall thermostat in the same room, there are some things which are black and white, if the regulations say "A circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point." that's what it says, there is no debate, but many things are not that cut and dried, and even the don't fit a TRV in same room as wall thermostat, in by old house in Mold that worked well, and was correct, I only fitted TRV's upstairs, down stairs a single wall thermostat controlled the heating in the open plan house.

But I am sure the Plumbers who gave me the advice with my mothers house were giving what they considered good advice, and since that advice worked with my own house, it was clearly correct for some homes, and likely they did have all the exams passed to show they were qualified, but they were not standing in my mothers house working out what was wrong.

So can't really see how publishing ones qualifications helps, the users of the forum must decide what advice to take, and if I was giving advice on earthing lights, the regulations would be as a quote, so
14th Edition said:
D.6 At every lighting point an earthing terminal shall be provided and connected to the earth-continuity conductor of the final sub-circuit.
the one above was for the 17th edition by the way. But in quotes with source given, the reader knows that is likely valid.

Just saying you can't do that, one has to take with a pinch of salt, and work out for your self if valid advice.

Sponsored Links
Maybe some people believe they have a genuine reason why they feel that giving out their first name could be very dangerous for them. I can’t see why though. Again, maybe some people feel they could be in great danger and be hunted down and shot if they gave out the county they live in. Again, I can’t see why. Or their age. Ditto. But on a DIY forum I really can’t see what danger there would be in telling anyone what field (if any) they are experienced in. I’m more likely to accept/believe plumbing advice from a plumber than a carpenter and I would hope that members would take my advice on mot tests over those of, say, a gardener. I’ll just sit back now and wait for accusations of being a stalker from those mystery members of the forum.…..

Back