Using a Sky router as second wifi point.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After help on here got into the router and changed the address so not a conflict with broadband router. I can get assess but the PC is trying to connect to internet with slave router rather than live router and brings up help pages telling me to check the phone line.

If I set to use proxy server I can connect to some web content but some unavailable, got feeling it is the PC which needs setting rather than router, any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
google this, there are explanations on the skyuser forums.
The main router needs DHCP disabling, enable it on the first router.
Define IP addresses for everything, set them so they are fixed.

The Default Gateway is the problem here. Have a look at the slave (second) router and see if it has an option for DHCP relaying. If it does, put in the IP address of the master (first) router and try again. If DHCP relaying is not supported, then the only alternative is to set up fixed IP addressing (as MattyLad stated). Disable DHCP on both routers, and go into Network Properties on each of your PCs, and give them static IP addresses. The default gateway is the LAN IP address of the master router.
HTH

Further to my reply last Monday, if DHCP relaying is not supported on the second (slave) router, then just disabling DHCP (on the slave) may be sufficient to allow wireless clients to connect, as both the first (master) router and the second are on the same subnet, and the DHCP request is being passed through the second router to the first.

Sponsored Links
I have found connection to another computer to transfer files worked OK, but internet was a problem, it needed changes to be made to how the computer connects to internet, this would mean any visitors computer would fail, so have abandoned the idea, I swapped dongles between computer near to sky hub for the one some distance from sky hub and this improved things. However I think another switch is way to go and hard wired.

Back