Using a Sony Video Camera as a webcam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to do this and googled the subject without any success, but is there a way to use my new Sony CX280e camera as a web cam?

Sponsored Links
A Sony Handycam can be made into a webcam by installing the compact disc (CD) that came with Handycam to the computer and choose 'USB streaming driver.' Restart the computer and connect Handycam to it via USB ports. Turn on Handycam, press its menu button and select 'USB streaming' to be 'on' and Sony Handycam is ready for use as a webcam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvzfxhKJeA

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq/30460

To download the Windows USB driver for Handycam camcorder, click here.

Note:

There is no Windows Vista/7 USB driver available for download.

In Windows XP/Vista/7, users do not need to install a driver in order to be able to connect the Sony USB device to the computer. A generic driver that is already embedded into the Windows XP/Vista/7 Operating System is used for communication between the device and the computer. After connecting the USB device, Windows XP/Vista/7 will detect it and install the proper driver automatically.

If users wish to use the USB streaming function (whenever the device is supporting it) it is necessary to install a specific driver. The USB streaming driver is included in the supplied CD that came with the product. USB streaming driver is used to transfer the data in the tape.

Hope this helps, Dan.

On a slightly related topic, is it possible to use a Sony DCR-HC22E camcorder with Skype and/or for web streaming? I think it's Firewire only but my Hackintosh has a FW port.

This camcorder has a broken ribbon between LCD screen and body. Does anyone know a repairer who could replace it?

Sponsored Links
Dan, First, thanks for your response. I have since contacted Sony support and have been reliably informed that the HDR CX280E CANNOT be used as a webcam. They give no technical reasons as to why not!
Just a warning to any prospective purchaser. It's a good budget priced camera (just under £200) but it does have limitations. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back