Using a stump grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mate hired a stump grinder for approx 9 inch diameter stumps from old hedge. Small grinder I guess. Removed the stones around then went at it sliding from left to right through soil and stump. Piece of ply next to it for flying debris and helmet with visor.
Any safety advice appreciated

20230904_100540.jpg
20230904_105304.jpg
20230904_122035.jpg
20230904_105310.jpg

Attachments

• 20230904_105253.jpg
    20230904_105253.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230904_100536.jpg
    20230904_100536.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My mates ex uses one to clean up her heels!

Sounds like you have it covered.

I always wear safety specs if wearing a mesh visor, things can always ricochet up.

Check for utilities underground.

Looks like a public area, cones around the work area and a 2nd person watching out for people and traffic. They would probably give it a wide berth though, if they had any sense.

Sounds like you have it covered.

I always wear safety specs if wearing a mesh visor, things can always ricochet up.

Check for utilities underground.

Looks like a public area, cones around the work area and a 2nd person watching out for people and traffic. They would probably give it a wide berth though, if they had any sense.
So no sudden kick backs with these machines? Just things flying back into face. Stumps only grind down 9 inches or so, how could u hit utilities at this depth?

Sponsored Links
Tree surgeons helmet and visor to be on safe side.

There should be no kick back if operated correctly, the self weight of the machine sees to this especially as the disc rotates towards the operator (IIRC) there would be kick forward if anything. They are incredibly good at removing stumps, but do check for utilities. When I hired one I found the gas pipe about 12" below he surface with the conifer roots wrapped around it. It may have a 9" depth but it goes lower the more of the stump you remove.

Blup

Tree surgeons helmet and visor to be on safe side.

There should be no kick back if operated correctly, the self weight of the machine sees to this especially as the disc rotates towards the operator (IIRC) there would be kick forward if anything. They are incredibly good at removing stumps, but do check for utilities. When I hired one I found the gas pipe about 12" below he surface with the conifer roots wrapped around it. It may have a 9" depth but it goes lower the more of the stump you remove.

Blup
I guess utilities generally flow in a straight line towards the front road. So check for manholes , water etc and run a straight line. BTW, this was on a block of flats

Utilities can unexpectedly kink as well.

Blup

They can deliver a nasty kick, just be aware of your stance at all times, same as with any power tool, be it chainsaw, grinder or even an SDS drill.

I know someone who went through a mains cable in a front garden, the tree root had grown around it, wasn't all that deep as it was an older property.

So gently feel down with a pointed metal poke before unleashing this beast?
I dug round the stump/root, it helps identify the root ball so you see as much as you can when grinding, but also exposed the pipe. I suppose a pointed spike would need some force to get it down in the earth with possibly adverse consequences. Gently does it.

Blup

I dug round the stump/root, it helps identify the root ball so you see as much as you can when grinding, but also exposed the pipe. I suppose a pointed spike would need some force to get it down in the earth with possibly adverse consequences. Gently does it.

Blup
Dig down with a spade around edge of stump I guess, surface with mattock.

They can deliver a nasty kick, just be aware of your stance at all times, same as with any power tool, be it chainsaw, grinder or even an SDS drill.

I know someone who went through a mains cable in a front garden, the tree root had grown around it, wasn't all that deep as it was an older property.
So if you're standing behind could push ypu back. Luckily blade is in the front. What do you mean by stance?

So if you're standing behind could push ypu back. Luckily blade is in the front. What do you mean by stance?
Always assume it's gonna kick back or whatever, use your body weight to help, don't use it in a such a way that if it does kick back you can't keep hold of it etc.

They would probably give it a wide berth though, if they had any sense.
Defintaly don't bank on it though, if it were me I'd be easing off when anyone walks past, just pressure washing the drive people would seemingly happily walk through a haze of dirty water mist.

If the cutting wheel snags, the front jumps up and the handle slams downwards, which can deliver a painful whack to the hips or legs.
Also if the stump is deeper you are operating the machine on the edge of a hole, it's possible to lose control and have the machine tip forward or roll into the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back