Using an angle grinder safely and multi surface blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used a multi cut disc on a thin bit of metal. It never felt like it would cut as well as metal disc then . I was trying to force it and wouldn't cut smoothly. Then the whole thing came apart. Is this the blade's fault?

I wore goggles for sparks but is there any other way you could injure yourself with this dangerous tool? Do u cit with the direction of rotation
20200408_183328.jpg
20200408_185513.jpg
going away from you?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's mounted the wrong way, dish goes the other way

Edit, maybe a trick of the light - are they dished?

Also, use only for slitting action, never loading the face of the disc. (Though by your description you may have been doing this anyway.)

Nozzle

Edit 2 - The disc currently mounted and the broken one aren't the same brand, just in case anyone is thinking the Clarke is duff

I used a multi cut disc on a thin bit of metal. It never felt like it would cut as well as metal disc then . I was trying to force it and wouldn't cut smoothly. Then the whole thing came apart. Is this the blade's fault?

I worse goggles for sparks but is there any other way you could injure yourself with this dangerous tool? Do u cit with the direction of rotation View attachment 188286 View attachment 188287 going away from you?
User error

never try and force them and vibration and bouncing is a sign something is going wrong.

You can injure yourself with any tool, even a hammer.

Slitting discs are just fine if used properly, but allow them to twist or jam just a fraction and they split like this.
Resist all temptation to grind or smooth with them!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sad incident a number of years ago when a forum member modified a grinder to take a circular saw blade. He injured himself and didn't actually survive.

Also the discs/tin look old, they don't keep forever, especially in a damp shed

was the boss centred properly on the grinder? there is no dish on a slitting disc. You have twisted the disc in the cut, You should not have to force the blade, the weight of the grinder should be enough.

Sad incident a number of years ago when a forum member modified a grinder to take a circular saw blade. He injured himself and didn't actually survive.
Wow, that's bad.
Maybe there should be a big link on diy.com homepage with all the "don't do this".
I can see how a novel diyer could easily think it's ok to use any rotating blade on any rotating tool, as long as it can be fitted.

There was also what could have been fatal or emasculating when a guy fitted a blade to a grinder and it bounced off the work piece, hitting his upper thigh. He could easily have been off to A&E with his nuts in an ice cream tub

Unbelievable. Did the disc fly into his face ?

was the boss centred properly on the grinder? there is no dish on a slitting disc. You have twisted the disc in the cut, You should not have to force the blade, the weight of the grinder should be enough.

Think so. The disc is the correct way round, isn't it?in the photo i turned it round and it fitted ( see top photo), didn't plug it in just checked it fitted. Surely it should the other way with writing facing away from device?

I pushed the blue button in then when it locks turn with key thing to lock it. The disc won't come off with it?

No date anywhere

20200409_223222.jpg
20200409_222918.jpg
20200409_223036.jpg
20200409_223043.jpg

You have two different discs there. The one in the grinder IS dished and is on the wrong way round, Can you not see that it's touching the guard? The ones in the tin are flat discs, It doesn't matter which way they fit. the dished ones do. my other advice still stands, If you cannot see the difference, I respectfully ask you to put the grinder back in it's box until this lockdown is over and wait until someone can SHOW yo what you need to do. The NHS is on the brink already and they don't need anymore people in A&E

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back