Using an arc welder in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have set up an out-door spot in the corner of the garden for small welding jobs. The machine is 40-100 amps and runs from domestic mains. I obviously won't use when it's raining but is it OK to use (say) in damp weather etc. The freed is from an inside socket and the house control board has recently been professionally replaced.

Sponsored Links
Would that be arc as in stick, MIG or TIG? In any event, if using a shield gas, don't forget to turn up the flow to account for the wind blowing it away :)

Nozzle

If your board has RCD protection then no major problems. Be aware that the output voltage from the welder could be fairly high, say around 50 volts or so before you strike the arc, so you could get a "tickle" if you "apply" yourself between electrode and ground. If your house doesn't have RCD protection then fit an RCD plug onto your extension lead.

Sponsored Links
The open circuit voltage of a welder shouldn't be high enough to do you any harm but just make sure the earth connection is good or you could get a shock from the metal case if a fault developed or water got into the welder.

50 volts or so is what you have on the telephone system so it doesn't bite much - mind you I'm talking as an ex TV engineer that used to get shocks from the mains and worse on a daily basis. :eek:

Peter

I have never looked inside the case of an arc welder, but I understand it to have a transformer, in which case the output will be isolated from the mains, and an RCD on the input side will not protect you from current flowing to earth on the output side.

An RCD is still worth having as it will give some protection from a cut cable or water on the mains side.

It maybe something to do with a shaky hand but with a full electrode, I hold the rod itself with a gloved hand until its half used :p
Nothing like heating the electrodes up before use, either!
John :)

It maybe something to do with a shaky hand but with a full electrode, I hold the rod itself with a gloved hand until its half used :p
Nothing like heating the electrodes up before use, either!
When I was taught to weld (forty humph years ago, and with rotating DC sets which I still think were nicer to weld with) we were given hand shields to use, so I've always, without any thought really, done arc welding of any type one handed. It's only been recently that I was reading something about using two hands. Much easier! That and the also recently acquired auto darkening shield makes it a lot easier for an occasional welder like me.

I was initially trained using an Oxford oil cooled set (not sure about the DC though - I know nothing about that). A very stable set with no variation of current or voltage. That too was 40 years ago.
Its almost all MIG for me now, which is a revelation really!

Yes, nice "smooth" set with an easy "strike" as I remember it the Oxford. I've used one a time or two. DC is the same. Very "smooth" the ones we had were 3PH powered motor generator sets with series wound genny for the DC. Powerful industrial gear.
As you say MIG is a revelation. You tried TIG? I haven't yet.

No Dave, TIG and plasma cutting are a closed shop to me, but I'd sure like to give it a go. Not worth investing in more kit now though, too old!
I've had an auto darkening helmet for years now but it only goes from 9 to 13 in the lumens range.....I really need one that goes down to 6 or thereabouts.
I still like the oxy / acet gear though, especially for brazing.....and its well handy that the cylinders can be bought, too. BOC weren't too keen on the refills at one point.

Similar here John. Bit late in the day unless I suddenly find a use. I bought a 9KG argon mix and reg. last year to replace the disposable ones. Makes the kit more usable, but I don't really do that much.
My mask only does the same as yours. not a problem so far.
I was talking to the guy I got the gas off about a DA set. Virtually indispensable for some things. More so than the welding really. I'd probably go for oxy propane though. Not as good as acetylene but OK for heating /brazing apparently.
I could get one, but would I get the use out of it. . .

I must get myself one of those masks so I don't keep nearly blinding myself on the first strike. I had a gas MIG but have changed it for a cored wire one, as I do most of my welding outdoors I found the wind blew the gas away. :confused:

I can only do a half decent weld on something like angle iron, I don't get on with neat welds on thin metal.

Peter

Buy one and spend the rest of the day wondering why you waited so long, Peter :p
Car Mechanics magazine tested them a while back so there should be archives......as I said, my mask (Welders Warehouse) is just that bit dark for 1mm material.
I've never used a cored wire MIG.....I have the gas on full and try to rig some sort of shelter when I'm bashing on.

Sponsored Links
Back